View Single Post
Old 05-25-2013, 02:27 PM  
lmh
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Gender ratio in hamster litters?

Polar - I havent come across anything about heat/temp and ratios...but that is something that I will look into also. Thanks!

Vectis - Perhaps the use of the term of 'breeding' hamsters was incorrect - sorry about that. Yes, they are all pets. I guess basically what I was asking is if the girls that do get pregnant are in the same room with other girls and/or boys.

Pom - I think the information was only about Syrian's but I am thinking it would carry over for other kinds too?

Originally I was looking for information on my litter sizes - but then ran into information about gender ratio and it caught my eye because the ratios in my large litters are so great. (at least I think they are, that is what I am now trying to figure out). lol Anyway - the research was done with one group of hamsters being away from and housed seperately from other females and males. Another group did a harem type of living situation with multiple females to one male. The hamsters from the harems produced more males then females.

I have all my females in the same room with two males (with other males are thoughout the house). I was wondering if just keeping all the girls close to eachother would have the same affect as the hamsters that actually lived together in the harem type situation - - and that is why my boy ratio is so high?? In a nutshell, 'because they smell all the other girls and produce more boys'. anyone else ever heard of such a thing?

I personally dont mind the ratio difference, I am not going to try to change it - I was just curious about the subject matter.
lmh is offline   Reply With Quote