View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 04:53 PM  
HammieLover95
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Taming tips please :)

Here are the steps which I do, from Training Your Pet Hamster
Note: It is very important that you wash your hands with unscented soap before you do this, or hammy could smell the food on your hands and nip.

1) Put your hand in the cage. Let him sniff it and talk to him gently in a low tone. He's filing away your scent and your voice during this bonding time. Repeat it several times a night in short sessions.
Continue doing this (I do at least a week with each step) until he is completely comfortable and walks on your hand, doesn't mind when you put it in the cage, etc.
2) Hold a seed or other treat between thumb and forefinger and offer it to him. Let him take his own time about coming up to the treat. Repeat this over a few days to a few weeks until he's really comfortable.
3) Place the treat on your palm so he has to climb onto your hand to get it. Repeat this until he's comfortable with it.
4) Now that he's comfortable walking on your hands, as he's eating his treat gently stroke him with one finger. Chances are he won't even notice.
5) When he's comfortable with that, gently cup your hands around him and hold him securely in the cage. You're just getting him used to the feeling of being held.
6) When this doesn't phase him, you can start lifting him out of the cage/playing interactively with him.

I did this with my Syrians and it worked beautifully. My 2 Chinese that I have currently didn't really need to be tamed, but I did use a few of these steps to get them more comfortable.
Hope this helps!
-HammieLover95