View Single Post
Old 06-10-2008, 03:25 PM  
nooboo
Hamster Overlord

Send a message via MSN to nooboo
Default Re: Community improvements? Membership? A discussion

i agree re reading can help, but often issues can be missed i know i feel like i may have caused offense already on this thread twice, by simply not realizing how some will react to what i say, so i meant to say it but didnt see how it could be interpreted, or objections others would see.

Edit: just seen mattys post, and sorry matty but platos republic does condemn democracy, and goes for the rule of the philosopher king, who had to be experienced in war, not something really really want in our rulers today, and as for philosophy he meant had had access to the world of forms, which some could take as experimented on drugs. also important to note he was rather aggressive to certain types of government as they had executed his teacher for being outspoken (giving the young men a bad example)

people do have differing ethics, after studying ethics for 3 years in different parts of my degree a lot of the basic rules cross over, like Kants golden rule is very much a do unto others (act as a king in a kingdom of ends), which could be taken in a utilitarian view as for the greater good, and almost under virtue theory as to be in the balance point between two vices you would basically be taking others into account as if ur actions would repercuss back to you....

so simple things like taking others into consideration when posting on a forum this 'golden rule' comes into act, and is even highlighted in many religions. so then even if we difer on what is best to do for the hamster, we should agree on how we say it to some extent, not wanting to offend others...and not wanting to use behaviours we wouldnt appreciate being used back to us, nor would wish everyone took as a rule of behaviour.

yes as i have said some people will be more aggressive than others more because they cannot help but break that kind of rule, be it down to maturity or some other reason, but differing ethics is no excuse against being civil on a forum.

from a sociological point of view yes societies norms are in a constant state of flux, but society cannot ignore them due to this, we have to some extent live in the confines of these rules to stay within society, only way around that is to be an outcast, as a forum is a society of like thinking minds they only way to successfully have conflicting norms from the group would to be in a constant state of conflict which i am sure the group wouldnt mind if it was on hamster care etc and was stated in ways that obey the ethical rulings mentioned earlier.

edit again missed more posts since the repost...but.... i give up for the night! so just a quick re edit!

body language does have a lot to do with certain things, for a start you are aware if what you have said has caused offense usually very quickly so you can rephrase to get the point across.

i still am not sure about profiling as either these can be filled in as workmad3 said until you get accepted and may have no relevance to the person, or cause too much effort and so put others off.

it would be nice to think if anyone had a problem with what i said they would pm me about it, i wouldnt take offense from that i would rather tings were aired else i can easily go on offending without meaning to, a weakness that i know i have and i am constantly sorry for! i am shocked to know things have gone on behind the scenes i was not aware of (am totally perplexed by this pm stuff people mention :S) i would hope that people would just come to me and ask or even accuse me if they have issues, though maybe best in pm to keep the forum free from this? also i agree if you are having issue with someones post report it, not reply back else it can start to edge into flaming quite quickly and normally rational thoughtful people can say things they dont mean, just like in a verbal argument, but worse ts down in black and white to be reread and keep the emotions freshr far longer!
nooboo is offline   Reply With Quote