View Single Post
Old 06-10-2008, 02:51 PM  
Noodles
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Community improvements? Membership? A discussion

I found this forum when I was searching for hamster products. Although I've had hamsters before, I was quite young and so while I loved them and did my best, they probably weren't treated as well as Noodles is now (much larger cage, baby food and so forth). I feel like I understand her a lot more, if you know what I mean. The fact that (I hope!) my hamster is a much happier, healthier little critter and that is thanks in large part to this forum. I have also learned about genetics, other hamster types and met some really lovely people who have really been very kind to me.

For those reasons, I personally don't think that it should be made harder to join, as people who are trying but don't know much, like me!, are exactly the people that this forum benefits the most.
Having to wait for a code is, IMO, sufficient.

While I do agree with a lot of what Gus, Mollz Mum et al(!) are saying, I would like to make a point about the criticism of the newer and younger members - as a relatively young member myself (though I did feel very old last Friday night but that's a different story!!! ) I try really hard not to offend people with anything I say. However, I use careful language a lot whereas some people on this forum are maybe not so careful and don't realise how things sound so their posts come out "wrong" so to speak.
It also wasn't a new member who was involved in the PM thing that I presume you are talking about.
There have also been posts by the "older" members that I personally found a little bit close to the line, especially when talking to a younger person, so I don't think it is purely an age/experience issue.

I feel that if people read through their posts before hitting the submit button, that really would be a good idea. Maybe the warn system like Bunsey and IN have on their forum have would "help" people to do that.

Sorry this is a really rambly post!!

Edited to say: Argh this has moved so fast, my post about age is now redundant!!!!
ELC - I decided to ignore the message you are talking about - I just thought it best to let it die; I hope you don't mind or feel I should have said something (sorry if so).
Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote