View Single Post
Old 06-10-2008, 02:32 PM  
Spuds Mum
Retired Moderator

Default Re: Community improvements? Membership? A discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty Day
And how about a form of democracy so members vote on the rules? Instead of the form of enlightened absolutism we have now as the rules are more likely to work if member have a say in there creation
The thing with running the forum as a democracy though Matty, is that frankly, it isn't one! At the end of the day, this is Snuggleham's forum, she pays for it and maintains it. Therefore I think we all agree that the rules, and how open the forum is, is down to her.

Having said that, Snuggleham I personally feel, asks the views of the community quite regularly on what they would like to see, and encourages participation in forwarding ideas etc. I do think she does a wonderful job of ensuring that the forum is open and available to all users, and she is very committed to the idea that it should not be elitist in any way, the aim is to educate and share ideas between hamster owners whether the novice young owner of a single hamster to people who show and breed hamsters. The forum rules and guidance are clear I think and commences with Snuggleham saying

Quote:
The Hamster Central community is growing rapidly. Everyday we have more users register to participate in the community. We are thrilled for this and welcome all hamster lovers! However the increasing number of users brings up some general concerns about proper conduct on the forum and website. Its required for everyone to know and follows the rules listed below. Make yourself familiar with them. Ignorance will not be an excuse. This thread will be placed under each forum topic as an announcement. There is no reason someone should “miss” it. We want to maintain a friendly atmosphere. Hamster Central is quickly becoming a popular form, known for its helpful users and encouraging environment. So lets keep it that way
I don't disagree with some members views that at times recently, the levels of behaviours displayed by some members have fallen short of the expectations of many other members. There is a simple answer. Rather than arguing the point or getting into frustrating discussions with people who do not really wish to discuss and issue politely, report the post to one of the moderator team and desist from posting.

The forum moderators/admin do have procedures for dealing with unacceptable behaviour, and until fairly recently have had very rarely needed to resort to these. However, the processes are there - and will be used, if we are made aware of members concerns.

Gus, as you have raised a concern, of course I will signpost snuggleham and mods to this thread. thanks for raising your concerns.