View Single Post
Old 05-28-2008, 10:46 AM  

I'd strongly suggest not breeding until you have a lot more hamster experience - a couple of years at least really - and have got a good understanding of both genetics and hamsters themselves. Breeding hamsters can be so complicated, and so very traumatic - I think everyone who read Holly's posts about her Smarterone litter will testify to that.

The genetics behind breeding is SO important. There are far too many ill-bred and sickly hamsters out there who are bred by people who have no/little understanding what's really behind it. It not only weakens the hamster lines, but it also raises a whole host of health problems in the hamsters' later lives.

As for your friends who want Syrians, well, the RSPCA at Chatham still have plenty of Syrians looking for homes. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh but if people just want cuddly babies, I wouldn't want them to have one of my hamsters. They see you have Syrians and suddenly they want a baby Syrian? It doesn't like someone committed to hamster love just yet. And yes, I know I'm being demanding/choosy - but isn't that the point of breeding your own hamsters?