View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 10:21 AM  
CAB
Adult Hamster

Thumbs up Re: does anybody have an african land snail?

I have had some previously and they are great critters and get quite large! only thing is they breed and breed. if you remove the eggs and freeze them immediately you stop them developing. if not you end up with about 200+ baby snails appear! (talk from experience)

mine had a little heat when they was small but as not needed i weaned them off it by a small light bulb on the outside of the tank. was only a small 25w bulb but gave enough heat for them and was cheap alternative to a heat mat. once they where huge at the time i couldent afford a large tank i kept mine in a Gabber hamster cage with a perspex lid instead of the wire one. i drilled many holes in it and they thrived.
i used a chemical free type of peat stuff, but i know someone who used sand, someone else used a corky subsrate (dampened)
i have used bark when i couldent get the peat.

i fed mine on kitchen veggy scraps, cucumber, lettuce etc, a friend of mine had hers in the kitchen and all veggie off cutts went straight into tank.

they need cuttlefish all the time for calcium. but they are fascinating and cheap and easy to keep.

Fur, Feathers, Scales or slime, I love my "Critter Crew". xxx
CAB is offline   Reply With Quote