View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 02:56 PM  
Vectis Hamstery

Default Re: Taming guides/advice?

Some of the rescues I've had have been like this. My quarantine area was a quiet room and I would let them be quiet and get used to the smells and sounds in a less active area where people weren't walking past all the time, but usually with the door open so they could still hear what's going on. I would then sit by them, with the very nervy ones not even talking initially. I took it very slowly. The most nervous hamster was one I brought back from Holland for another breeder, strangely. She found the cage I gave her too open and I put her in a smaller, more enclosed tank-style cage until she became more settled (and stopped spending all her time squashed under the wheel hiding). I started handling when she was calmer, using a ball to transfer her, and went slowly. I also increased the size of her cage as she became more confident. It wasn't a fast process but she improved significantly over the month or so she was with me (even becoming confident enough to escape on her next leg of the journey!).