View Single Post
Old 05-26-2008, 11:46 AM  
pophammy
Retired Moderator

Send a message via MSN to pophammy
Default Gabber Criceto Lux ~ Cage Review

This cage is a tank-style cage and measures roughly 57x40x27cm. It is a smaller version of the Gabber Rex, which is very popular, especially with members of this forum. It is a suitable size for one or two Dwarf Hamsters, and a smaller Syrian. A larger Syrian may find it a little cramped.

It is a sturdy well built cage, with a bottom tray of coloured plastic and a clear plastic clip-on lid and mesh panel. Access to the hamster is easy, by removing the lid or opening to door. This cage may not be suitable for bar-chewing Syrians, as if they stood on a platform they might be able to reach the bars, but our hamster never tried to do so.

Inside the cage there are two removable plastic platforms with three ladders. The ladders appear quite steep but even older hamsters can happily scramble up them. The platforms come with metal ‘springs’ attached, but we removed these in case a hamster got its foot trapped. Instead we placed some piping in the hole, which our ham loved to scramble up. There are some plastic pots which fit in the holes in the platforms which act as food dishes.

We find that bedding can be placed under one of the platforms, and this provides the ham with a large spacious nest.

The cage comes with a wheel attached to one platform, but we found this wheel was too small for a Syrian. Silent Spinner wheels can be slotted over the wheel holders to stop them rattling around, and Wodent wheels can be placed in the same space, but they take up quite a bit of room and can restrict the amount of space available for toys etc.

We found that the water bottle hole provided was too high for a Dwarf hamster to reach, so we drilled out our own hole in the base in the middle of one of the long sides. We also drilled out two holes to thread a piece of elastic through. I believe that new Luxes come with a bird-type bottle which sits over the platform. Bear in mind that older hamsters, Dwarfs in particular, may have problems climbing the ladders to reach this bottle.

There is space to fit a few toys in this cage, but with both platforms and a wheel this can be limited. If you feel your ham would enjoy having more toys than both platforms, you could remove one. We had a sand bath, wheel, both platforms and some piping in one of the platform holes in our set-up.

This cage costs about £29.99. We got ours off Ebay, where they are frequently listed, but I have seen it in our local pet shop as well. I have seen it listed as both Gabber and Montagna Lux.

All in all I think this cage is very well designed and also well priced. It is a good size for Dwarf and Syrian hamsters and looks attractive. Hamsters seem very happy living here! It is easily cleaned and the hamsters are accessed easily which is important during taming. I think this is generally a very good cage for hamsters, and our residents have always been happy here!
Found in Announcements and Bug Corner Section
pophammy is offline   Reply With Quote