View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 11:06 AM  
Mystic
Hamster Pup

Default Re: thoughts and advice please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla-yazoo View Post
hey mystic
as someone who has had litters with not the best of luck, i can warn you and your friend its NOT fun and games
yes cute little babies, cuddled up together, seeing them grow from pinkies to mini mum's but having a mother cull a litter, having to hand rear, loosing the mum of my second litter, its definatly not all cute pups and cute photos

as vectis said, all that infomation IS needed
i know not all countrys have pedigree's, but ensuring they come from different lines, that the parents do not have any health problems, even in the back history.
I have one syrian that even with his pedigree isnt the colour he appears, but it wasnt a problem, but had i bred him to a patterned unknowingly there is a risk.

I wish you the best of luck with the litters, lots of plain cooked chicken or turky, chicken babyfood that is garlic/onion/leek free, tofu, egg, porridge, cat biscuits (onion free) will help, but remember you can not clean the cage untill the babies eyes are open, as it can disturb mum and the nest of babies.

if there are any questions, worries over mum and babies, colour identification, sexing the pups, there are many breeders on here, most with more experience then me, we can give what advice we can to help x
thank you vanilla for your advice. i wish there where real hamster breeders around here where i live. we have gotten the best hams we could find, we only have 4 and i hope that is as many as we will get. all but 1 male (my ables ) are to young to breed at the moment. i am hoping to make them all the healthiest as possible before we do anything with them, but i am aware of how bad things can go when it comes to breeding, but i do appreciate any advice you can give me in any way. is it better for the females to be a little fattened before they are bred? or is it not good to have them a little fat? i am hoping to make my own ham food mix, im hoping to do my best for these hams. they are not just a hobby they are wonderful living creatures that deserve the best life i can give them.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote