View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 06:25 AM  
HollyHamster
Hamster Savvy

Send a message via Skype™ to HollyHamster
Default Re: New hamster taming / jumping off bed

When I first had Holly, she managed to get out of her ball and was wandering about on the floor of my bedroom. I went to pick her up and she urinated on me, a natural fear response, then promptly chomped down on my thumb to further show her fear. It was my fault because I went to quickly with my movements and made more of a swift snatch than a slow and gentle cupping and picking up movement.

Since then she has become quite tame, to the point where she is quite relaxed when I gently pick her up. I can even give her a little snuggle and a soft little kiss on the top of her head and she is fine.

My preferred method is the bathtub method. Take a towel and spread it on the bottom of the bathtub. Then put some toys and/or climby things in there, the hamster, and finally yourself. Let the hamster explore your legs and arms at his/her leisure and comfort level. Make sure to be relaxed, speak softly and gently, and to make slow and deliberate movements. Also, do plenty of coaxing with treats too. After a few sessions, your hamster will be more comfortable with your smell and start to realize your large size and whatnot aren't to be feared because your not out to eat him/her and they will be relaxed when handled.

To get the hamster out of the cage to begin with, use a hamster ball, cardboard tube (toilet paper tubes might be too small for a syrian), or cup. I don't recommend using gloves as the method that goes along with that is rather forceful for my taste and doesn't allow the hamster to move at a pace they are comfortable with. This also increases unneeded stress, which only complicates things.

Another thing to remember is to wash your hands before handling a hamster as you might have the scent of food on them. This entices the hamster, and because they don't have very good eyesight and a very good sense of smell, they might mistake your fingers for a tasty treat and take a nibble.

Last edited by HollyHamster; 10-25-2012 at 06:37 AM.
HollyHamster is offline   Reply With Quote