View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 10:30 AM  
obscura
Adult Hamster

Default Re: Feeding schedules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo73 View Post
those nutty bar things in the cages (Rango, my Chinese, has one that contains carrot and herbs as I've heard they are more prone to diabetes so a honey fruit stick isn't ideal!!)
I haven't seen any of those treat sticks (at least in the United States) that did NOT contain cane molasses or some other sugary ingredients to hold all of the contents together, even the veggie or herb ones. I wouldn't be as concerned with Syrians, but I have never given one of these treat sticks to my dwarfs. If yours does not contain any sugary ingredients, I wouldn't mind knowing what brand it is (if it's accessible in the United States).

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly View Post
Just wondering how different people schedule their hamsters meals?
I supply a fresh seed mix every 2-3 days. I feed my Campbell's Russian Dwarf Hamsters the Ecotrition Organic Blend with the corn removed, some Oxbow added, along with a MODERATE amount of sunflower seeds, millet, oats, and mealworms. Sometimes I add dried herbs. They also have access to Oxbow Botanical Hay, which is sprinkled throughout their bins and provides a healthy source of fiber (I think it smells nice, too). I use a special homemade blend for pregnant or nursing females, and growing pups. The only "treats" my hams get are fresh vegetables a few times a week, and the occasional organic baby food.

I don't really have a consistent schedule. Every 2-3 days on average I'll replace the old food. Whenever I do a full cleaning of their bins, I replace the old food. If the food is soiled or a water bottle leaks over it, I replace the old food (generally I put a soap dish with Chinchilla sand beneath the water bottle to catch any water that might drip from the nozzle, but sometimes the bottle gets moved near the food dish). If the bin contains a larger colony, I may to refill the food more frequently as opposed to a bin containing only 1-2 hams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus View Post
I change the feed for my two once a day and give them just enough that there will hardly be any left over the next morning.
I like this method. I try to measure a certain amount based on the number of hams in each bin so that I don't throw away or waste food!

Last edited by obscura; 10-23-2012 at 10:39 AM.
obscura is offline   Reply With Quote