View Single Post
Old 07-20-2012, 03:13 AM  
cathface
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: advice on a balanced diet for new hamster

my Syrians are on Silver's mix with banana, which I love because they eat up every little bit, which means they must love it as well. when I had my first Syrian on the Burgess, he just left so many bits that it was clear he wasn't getting a balanced diet (since you have to eat ALL of it to get the proper nutrition as written on the bag). so after hearing all this good stuff about Silver's mixes, I decided to switch over. best thing I ever did for their diet haha.

I fill their bowls about 2 handfuls each, though my hands are quite small. I would say maybe 1-2 tablespoons? then I top up as required. sometimes that's every other day, sometimes a little longer.

I have noticed that, since switching to Silver's mixes, they don't really hoard as much...? they eat most of it straight away from the bowl lol, taking a bit back to bed to munch on in their sleep!

fruit & veg is given at least 3 times a week, but never every day, so they won't get diarrhoea from too much. it's mainly cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, cherries, grapes and bananas they get, because that's what I buy most haha.

other stuff all counts as treats, whether that be a nut treatstick left in the cage to nibble on, or dog/cat biscuits, or yoghurt drops. this stuff is only given on occasion, but I might have to limit Hamburglar a bit now since the vet said he was a little bit fat. :C

I also offer them baby food, which they love! anything without onion, garlic or citrus in should be okay. they love the sweet squash and chicken one, and creamed porridge. I thought I'd feel silly buying baby food but I always use self-checkout anyway so it's fine hahah.
cathface is offline   Reply With Quote