View Single Post
Old 07-12-2012, 08:42 AM  
Charley101
Mesocricetus auratus

Default Re: Dwarf hamster wanted

Julie, from my experience I have found it a lot easier keeping lone dwarfs. I had a pair back in 2008 who lived happily together for about a year. Then I noticed Mint was getting picked on by Murray. This escalated and I separated them. They lived on to have long and happy lives

I know have 3 dwarfs (hybrid, WW and Robo) living alone and they couldn't be happy. I know Flynn (my robo), used to have a cage mate with his old owner but they and to be separated due to fighting. Flynn is bald near his tail and has a scar there from being attacked. I won't keep pairs now for these reasons.

I'm not saying you can't have a pair and that Ren is wrong, you just need to be fully aware of the risks of taking a pair on. She is right that dwarfs are more sociable but you have to consider the need for suitable housing, ideally two of everything, be able to monitor them and get to know their personalities and starting to see any signs of fighting etc. It isn't easy but can be rewarding

Like others have said, I would check your local Gumtree, Preloved, animal shelters, Pets at Home adoption centre to see if there are any rescues needing a home (which 9 out 10 times there are!). You said you wanted an unusual colour. I got Bella (my hybrid) from my local Pets at Home adoption centre as no one wanted to buy her. She is a Mottled and, although not uncommon, she is a nice colouring and people have said it looks like she is wearing a mask. She is more unusual then an Agouti by any means. Murray was also a Mottled and was from Pets at Home too (just be aware if you are getting a hybrid from Pets at Home that they come with the risk of diabetes. Having a low sugar diet can help lower the risk).

Here is a couple of photos of her for you to see her colouring I have found it hard finding a black hybrid. They don't seem to come along anywhere near me!

Good luck in finding your new hamster

Last edited by Charley101; 07-12-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Charley101 is offline   Reply With Quote