View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012, 11:56 PM  
Ren
Adult Hamster

Default Re: Inbreeding Coefficiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl Hamletry View Post
Well first I would like to say that this thread was targeted at breeders that line breed and after some of these responses I can see why none of them responded. I would like to say that it is not my intention to have those that are for inbreeding to shoot down those that are not or vise versa. We all have different morals, beliefs and ethics that we go by and just because someone else has differences in these areas doesn't mean that any one person is right or wrong and should be judged for there breeding (or other) practices.

With that being said there is a lot of taboo on the subject of line breeding because it has been ingrained in our culture that inbreeding is wrong. Some of the reasoning is valid ie the royal Hapsburg defect that was brought up but it is undeniable that inbreeding dogs have made them the most diverse species in the world! So it is something that should we should be able to discuss as breeders on the breeding section of the forum without being shamed. Of course health and quality are categories of "desirable traits" which could be broken down into longevity, type, fur condition, color, size, weight, personality etc.

I hope that some line breeders will see this posting and be willing to post an answer to the breed coefficient question that I posed but if not it is completely understood. I would like to thank the person that posted the lil history lesson, as I was familiar with it, but it's always good to freshen up on the history of the fancy!

Sincerely -

Open-minded and non-judgmental breeder

Dogs are a great example on why inbreeding is bad. Take a look at this documentary.

Pedigree Dogs Exposed | Watch Free Documentary Online
Ren is offline   Reply With Quote