View Single Post
Old 06-30-2012, 03:37 PM  
HollyHamster
Hamster Savvy

Send a message via Skype™ to HollyHamster
Default Re: Idiot on youtube..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandti View Post
I watched an animal rescue with a horder in it. She had 42 animals including 21 cats! I don't see how they can see you are horder when there are people like that.... The was also someone who had 15 dogs, 30 cats and loads of other animals...
I saw a show, called Animal Cops: Houston, where this animal hoarder had about 200 cats all living in absolute squalor in her run down house. Most of the cats had serious health problems and were completely feral, thus they had to be humanely euthanized. There was a tiny kitten that was both social and in reasonable health that they were able to nurse it to health and successfully adopt it out.

In the home he came from though, there was a layer of urine and feces and who knows what else on nearly every surface and according to the comments from the investigators, it smelled absolutely horrible and was completely overpowering. There were insects all over too. Roaches, fleas, and other bugs living and feeding off of the filth. Probably a few rodents too, though not many because the cats would probably hunt them down on sight.

It was saddening to know that the woman lived in that house, among the filth and disease that was rampant throughout it. It was also no wonder that she was so sick that she had to be hospitalized and the Animal Cops called out to take care of the cats.

I've also been in a cat hoarder's home and it smelled so strongly of cat urine and feces and was stacked with garbage all over ( old newspapers, boxes of junk stacked ceiling high, and a layer of filth and stains nearly everywhere. The poor old woman who was hoarding the animals was clearly in need of some help. I felt sad for her and wanted to help her, though at the time I was a small girl and couldn't really do much for her. She was very nice though, but clearly not all there in the head.

Usually hoarding is a product of mental instability and whatnot and the person can't seem to help doing it. Its very sad.

I also recently heard of a man who was all alone in the world, no family, no friends, no one to really talk to. So he surrounded himself with cats. This wasn't a true hoarding situation, because he had only a small number in relation to many hoarding cases and he wasn't mentally unstable, but it was beyond sad that all he had in his life were those cats for company and family. He was once a very successful veterinarian but came down on some hard times. He eventually died and wasn't found till some many days later, his body still surrounded by the cats he so deeply cherished.

So, no, you are most definitely not a hoarder. Just someone who has a lot of room in their lives and heart for a few small animals with big personalities.
HollyHamster is offline   Reply With Quote