Thread: Bedding
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 09:45 PM  
obscura
Adult Hamster

Default Re: Bedding

So you used Kaytee Aspen wood shavings before? I never realized CareFresh had an odor. That's what I've always used, and recommend. I stopped using wood shavings a long time ago, but the only shavings I ever used were Kaytee Aspen, as well. If I went back to using wood shavings, I would probably try out the CareFresh Basic, which is a blend of their soft bedding and wood shavings (I'd have to make sure the wood shavings are aspen).

I personally use CareFresh Ultra (less dusty than the natural, but is not dust-free) with the CareFresh Crinkles (natural paper crinkles) and Oxbow Botanical Hay sprinkled around in the cage. The Oxbow hay smells nice. The paper crinkles add a bit of fun to the bin. And of course, the CareFresh is nice and soft. I like CareFresh because it's odorless and does a good job at keeping the odor down once the hamsters have been urinating on it. Plus it makes cleaning so much easier because poop barely makes it to the bottom of the bin. When I used wood shavings, they weren't as absorbent so I had to REALLY scrub the cages down to remove urine and feces. Shavings would clumb up against the bottom of the cage. I also had to clean more frequently. With CareFresh, cleaning is minimized (though I also do a bit of spot cleaning every day which also helps).

CareFresh is the same material as Megazorb and Kaytee Soft Granules (wood pulp fibers - 100% biodegradable and compostable). I wrote about bedding here if you wanted some more ideas / an idea of some other options.