View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 06:34 AM  
Magnusmomma
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Why are there so many Russian dwarfs on Gumtree?

I agree with everyone here, but would like to share my experience as my son has a hamster. We rescued what was labeled a "fancy dwarf" hamster from a little girl who didn't want him anymore. My son had been asking for a hamster for many months and he is almost 13. I did research for at least 2 weeks and then when I had everything ready and brought him home I made it clear that my son would not be handling or feeding this animal without my supervision. Although this animal is technically "his" and he does all the cleaning and feeding and tending there is never a moment when I am not right there to see myself that he is doing a good job. I am very proud of him and so far he has done a superb job. I don't intend on letting him care for this animal without my supervision any time soon. I think that any parent that wants to let their child have a pet needs to be prepared to put in the time to teach their child how to care for it and be willing to watch over them as well. I also have a 9 year old, but I know he is too young to have a pet so he will have to wait until he is older. Most parents I know don't take that time and shouldn't have pets. Not to be mean. Pets can be wonderful for children in the right setting and they can teach children a lot, with supervision..

Last edited by Magnusmomma; 02-23-2012 at 06:35 AM. Reason: was missing a word
Magnusmomma is offline   Reply With Quote