View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 09:02 PM  
Sammybingo
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default The "its 4am and I need reassurance about my hamster's gungy eye" thread

Hi chaps

I was just on my way to bed and noticed Fur-nando was up meercatting at me (typical Fur-nando behaviour, this precludes him asking to come out, which he is usually doing about 8 hours a night).
His eye facing me looked like he had just woke up, which i thought was odd, as he hasn't had a snooze yet tonight. I took him out, and he has a gunged up eye. There is nothing coming out of it, it's just a bit gummed shut. There is no redness or inflammation. I noticed he had been at his gnawing block, so I think he has got a bit of dust from that in there? I took it out his house for now.

I tried to clean it up a bit with some damp cotton wool which he HATED. I ended up wrapping him in my scarf, with him making all kinds of angry noises. I basically couldn't really get at it. I did test his fondness for being cleaned on his normal eye, and he hated that too hah, so I don't *think* it's painful or anything, I think he is just angry at me trying to touch his face.

After an hour of watching him, I figured I should go to bed. He is acting his normal over-the-top-tantrumming-self, and it doesn't seem to be bothering him.

But you know. I'm a crazy hamster lady. My first response is "omg you've got something in it we have to go to the emergency vet". Which I know is preposterous .

Am I ok to just wait and see how he is in the morning?

/ends paranoid rambling. Sorry >.<
Sammybingo is offline   Reply With Quote