View Single Post
Old 02-12-2012, 06:44 AM  
fluffymunchkins
#1 Hamster Mom

Default Re: Winter White Breeder

Unfortunately, for many hybrids are the only option for now. We can hope in time winter white breeders will become more wide spread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamtastic View Post
Fluffymunchkin's Treo only has 3 legs--he was born like that.

I just want to add though: if you do buy a winter white from a pet shop, chances are it will be okay. You will have to watch its diet (avoid sugars from any sources), but there is always a good chance that it will live a decent life without noticeable defects. But there's also a chance that something will come up at some point in its life.
I couldn't agree more with this i would never judge someone who chose to have a hybrid and I never regret having Treo. There are many members of the forum with healthy hybrids and loving pets. However, as a breeder in the long run I would like to see the support of hybrids in pet shops decrease. If you are unlucky to have a hybrid such as Treo (though I chose him myself, well aware of the risks) then it can be heartbreaking to see their life span shortened so dramatically. Treo has cost the most in vet bills also.

So although hybrids will likely always exist, its best to educate on the risks involved with hybrids so people can be prepared. And encourage those with access to breeders to buy from them x