View Single Post
Old 02-12-2012, 03:39 AM  
oscar
Banned

Default Re: Can a bar chewer ever go back to barred cages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilliondaemon View Post
Hi
Our syrian bar chews, she definetly has enough space, definetly has plenty of toys, definetly has plenty of gnawing things, and still chews.
We know it started out as "oi! theres a problem" but now its usually just for the sake of it.

Today we're going to switch her cage over a lot, take most of it off her and make sure the only bars are well out of her reach. What I want to know, is can she go back to her normal cage setup after a few weeks or will she need to stay away from bars permanently to avoid her going back to the habit?

We'd really prefer her to be able to go back to this cage setup eventually, but if she can't we'll need to start planning how best to rearrange cages and make sure she still has plenty of space, and if we've got to do that its best to know now rather than when Scamp returns to her normal cage setup and starts the chewing again.
i know the feeling.
mafia, my alpha female bar chews every time i put her in a cage. she was born behind the bookcase and dosent like enclosures. i have to put her in a cage for a few hours each evening so oscar can play out. but she turns her nose up at that.
have you tried letting her roam around the living room to see how she behaves. Mafia now lives in the cupboard. their is a hole cut out for her and she comes and goes as she pleases. she is perfectly trustable to return their each morning after her nightly roamings. the only time she did a moonlight flit was when the others gatecrashed her home
she was found in their house in their cage!!.
but she did take all her stuff with her lol
they are very intelligent, very highly amusing creatures. i dont suppose you want to go to these extremities, letting him roam round forever, but why not see where he nests naturally and place his cage their.
oscar is offline   Reply With Quote