View Single Post
Old 06-26-2005, 04:13 AM  
littlemissdwarfhamster
Hamster Pup

I have read 'Starting a Quality Hamstery By Linda Price' and I think what I thought a hamstery is about is what she says on there.

I thought that a hamstery was something that came from a person who has a love of hamsters, who breeds them (and hopefully shows them) and most importantly treats them all as pets not just as 'breeding machines'. The hamstery owner would breed for temperament, as well as colour/size etc

to improve the hamster.

When I did decided to get serious about hamsters I did a lot of internet research first. I got my first breeding pair a bit early (they werent planned), but these hamsters taught me a lot. As soon as I got them I joined two hamster clubs, and started going to shows to learn as much as I could. After about a year of this I started to get more hamsters. It's only now that I have taken the plunge into getting a hamstery name. I feel it is the right time as I have some great hamsters that have lovely temperaments and are doing really well in shows.

I took my time in the decision though. I have sourced a vet and good food/bedding supplier. I even have holiday cover (trained my mum so even she can hand-rear babies if needed). So I am completely sorted.

But I agree when you say there is no money in this. Any money I get from the hamsters goes straight back to them as I use it to buy food or bedding or anything they need. They dont fund my petrol to shows, or vets bills. I do this because they are my babies and I love them all very much. I couldnt imagine a life without hamsters. And I think thats an important feeling to have.
littlemissdwarfhamster is offline   Reply With Quote