Thread: Vivariums
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2012, 02:11 PM  
Jinx
Newborn Pup

Default Vivariums

I have been offered, for free, a 4ft vivarium by a friend who has 4 bearded dragons, and has just moved two of his girls into the same tank as one was getting lonely and depressed. It's in good nick and he bought it second hand anyway, either I get it or it's for the tip as he doesn't intend to expand his dragon collection!

In my mind, it would be perfect with some modifications (shelves, possibly some extra ventilation but I've only seen a picture of it so I don't know how good the vents are already), hanging things etc.

It would be right faff to fit it into my little flat, and the only way I can think of doing it would be to get rid of a bookcase so I could fit another cheap Ikea unit in the space to put the viv on top of, and redistributing the bookcase's contents around.

Freyja is a bar chewer and has worn away the paint in one corner from chewing so long. I put cardboard there as a temp solution but it didn't stop her, and I reckon it can't be too healthy for her to spend hours chewing metal bars. I was vaguely thinking of putting her in a tank or viv and now my mate says he's getting rid of his.

Has anyone here had any experience with keeping a syrian in a vivarium, and what is your opinion of them as cages? I can imaging they'd be pretty easy to keep clean (take everything out and scoop up substrate with a dustpan?). Do your hamsters like them and have you had any major issues?

On a side note, my mum may be adopting my cousin's poor neglected hamster in the next couple weeks and she would make good use of my current cage setup as we know the ham is currently in the tiniest space possible (the only consolation is that it isn't rotastak!). He fed it a sausage roll the other day (then posted it on facebook!) and a few months ago decided to leave it outside for a night. My mum offered to take the poor critter off his hands!
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote