Thread: Other pets
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2005, 06:59 AM  
SnuggleHam
Former Admin

I love pets.. Id have more if I could but I’m lacking the space

I have two cats.. They both have an interesting story as rescues. Yari is the first cat my husband and I adopted. Or should I say she adopted us. It was probably three years back now in February, and the coldest week of the year as there was still plenty of snow on the ground. My husband and I were at a person's house whom we help with his business and were about to go someplace for the day.

This man told us about this stray cat he had seen that was hanging around the house and he was feeding it pieces of ham and dog food. Apparently this person had a member of the family take the cat in for a few days but when she vomited and had diarrhea on their sofa they brought her back. So this guy decided to put her in an old rabbit cage in his shed but she had diarrhea all over the place so he put her back outside and she was living under this old trailer.

I was hoping that we would see her when we arrived at his house but there was no sign of her. I feared the she probably already dead. But when we came back to this man's house to take our car back home and were talking in the driveway this meek little wiry furred looking cat wobbled up to us meowing looking drunk because she was so emaciated she could hardly stand. Her eyes looked bad, her nose and ears and pads were literally all frost bitten and black, he fur looked greasy and she smelled of faecal matter. I cant say I have ever seen a stray cat in such bad shape, and she was only about six month old.

After debating on what to do we got a box put her in it and brought her home where I first gave her a bath and dried her off with a towel and blow dryer. I think we waited a few days before taking her to the vets to see if she'd make it through the night. We set her in a old wire ferret cage with a litter box and water and canned cat food.

To try and make this story shorter, we did bring her to vets and it turned out she had an ear infection so bad the vet didn’t think she could even hear us the whole time. They checked her for diseases and the vet was extremely surprised to find none. They told us they thought she would loose the tips of her ears to first bite, and although at the time it was never said the vet never though she would make it. But she did!!

Here is a collage of pictures I put together starting from the first day we brought her home and showing her recovery over the next year or so. She really looks like a different cat http://www.artwanted.com/imageview.c...al=Photography

She’s probably now the most beautiful cat I have ever seen, her fur is incredibly soft, and I think she may have some Persian in her. My husband and I think she must have been abandoned because she was very friendly.

Our next cat is Woody, we have probably had him now for about 5 or 6 months. We adopted him from the PetSmart adoption center. We like to look at the cats but never brought one home, But one day we happened to go and saw Woody an orange and white tabby. He didn’t do anything special just lay there and look at us, but I had a feeling about him. I had been wanting a cat of my own that was cuddly and let me hold him. Yari is more my husband's cat, and she hates to be picked up, although she is very loving, and talks to us all the time.

I didn’t say anything but later in the evening brought it up. My husband said he had a feeling too but didn’t want to say anything. Three days later we went back and adopted him, and he is just what I was looking for. Woody was stuck in his small cage in the adoption center for about a month and a half before we came along.

Here is a picture of them together.

Woody is larger then Yari, but she beats him up all the time. Poor guy!

Then there is my personal pet Houdini (aka little green monster) she’s my lovebird. I bought her when she was still young her adult primary colors weren’t even in yet. She was still being hand fed so when I bought her I took on the responsibility of hand rearing her and weaning her off the bird formula, so we are both very bonded.

She does drive me nuts sometimes though, especially my husband but I love her and she keeps me company.

Here she is inside a tissue box ready to defend it my biting my finger off if I come to close. She is a Dutch blue mutation

Besides my cats and bird we also have a 75 gallon fish tank in the living room with fresh water fish and in the bedroom a 29 gallon tank with two goldfish in it.

Then of course my two Roborovskis hamsters Macchu and Pichu, seen in my current avatar
SnuggleHam is offline   Reply With Quote