View Single Post
Old 12-18-2011, 07:06 AM  
radiocricket
Hamster Pup

Default Re: How long between matings?

The one thing that you're forgetting is that Campbells and Winter Whites have back to back litters since they rebreed within the first day of giving birth. The only way to stop this is to remove the male before she gives birth but then he's not in there to help her with the litter.

What I do is leave the male in so the female gets pregnant with the second litter. I leave the first litter in with the pair until I feel they're ready for their new homes, which is usually after the birth of the second litter. I let the male rebreed to the female after the birth of her second litter. It is toward the very end of her third pregnancy that most of the changes happen. I wean all but two or three females of the first litter that I'm considering keeping for breeding. I'll put the father in a new cage either with one of his sons from the first litter or another female I want him to breed to. The mother is then left with the second litter that are almost old enough to wean and a few females from the first litter. The third litter is born and the first litter pups can help her with that litter. Soon after, I'll wean the entire second litter so that mom is left only with her older daughters and the third litter. Sometimes I'll still leave in females from the second litter that I'm considering breeding. At the end of it all, I can end up with a cage with a mother and daughters from all three litters that I'll evaluate for breeding. The ones that I'll breed I'll pair up when they're old enough. The ones I don't want to breed I'll remove all but one. That one will remain with her mother. Did you follow all that?! There's a lot going on!

-Janice
radiocricket is offline   Reply With Quote