View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 02:32 PM  
Mona's Humans
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Syrian cage help?

Hi, firstly a little background...

We have one 21 week syrian girl (Mona) who we rescued after we found her in a pet adoption section with no food, in a tiny cage with no burrow opportunities. I'll be honest - i've never had hamsters before and so we are learning.

We got a rotatak for her, realised after about a day it was no good, and returned it (after some trouble) and brought her a home n play XL deluxe, ripped the shelves out and added a full layer shelf in, doubling the cage size, because the full height is way to high anyway, also changed the wheel and took the lid off the house (its now her toilet ). So that gives her 100cm by 40cm floor space.

Now i've checked all guidelines, and this apparently this size is fine, she has lots of toys and ramps, can climb the bars, and going to get her a hammock this weekend too . She has at least 30 mins - an hour out time a day, and has a 60cm by 40cm run that she spends time in daily too for variation.

But... I still feel like its too small and not enough.... is it? I may be going crazy. But we'll prob end up buying her a new cage (i looked into bin cages, but i don't have the tools to make this cost effective). If we were to get a new cage does anyone have recommendations? I would rather a tall cage with lots of layers (full layers so she cant fall) as space is an issue and hubby would like to avoid any tubing (small amounts would be okay). Budget of 100 - 150 pounds. Preferably with enough left from that to buy her and the guinea pigs a few new toys for Yule

Also what is the minimum bar spacing advised for a syrian?

Sorry for all the questions, but we are learning, and want to give her the best possible

Thank you

Mona's Humans x
Mona's Humans is offline   Reply With Quote