Thread: My 7 dwarfs <3
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2011, 11:56 AM  
Erin Loves Dwarf Hamsters
Robolicious Bobtails

Default Re: My 7 dwarfs <3

Quote:
Oh, I use different cameras and lenses. For my own hams mostly I use my Canon 500D with the cheap kit lens but I also use an older Fuji 6500fd bridge camera and an older Ricoh Caplio R6 compact camera. Lighting and composition play a much more important part than the camera itself. Eg. in the big IKEA cage I have lighting and that really makes a lot of difference. The rest is just some fiddling with the settings - I usually do some -1/3 exposure compensation and use the flash only as fill light with reduced power.

The shots of the wild hamsters are mostly done with with the Canon and with a nice 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM lens. The body is not as important, I could have used the cheaper 1000series body just as well. I did start with the Fuji back in 2009 and got decent photos but you have to be more patient. An SLR and a good long lens really pay off when photographing wildlife. I dream of a 70-200 f/2.8 but it's so expensive and also quite heavy...
I think lighting is always my downfall :/ My softbox was reccently destroyed durring some furniture moving and I dont have the money for a new one for a long time >.< I dont use Canons any more but I have heard some terrific reviews of the 500D. The Nikon D7000 is what I am currently working towards - a beauty of a cam - with the 80-200mm lens for portraiture but Im using the Lumix FZ38 Bridge while I save up the money and it too requires so much patience it can be very frustrating! Unfortunatly when you have robos and a top shutter speed of only 1/2000 it doesnt get you as far as you'd like :/

I would Love to see your lighting set up in your cages if at all possible? That would be really interesting
Erin Loves Dwarf Hamsters is offline   Reply With Quote