View Single Post
Old 02-20-2008, 10:50 AM  
Holly
PM Fluffy for custom title

I think Harry Hamster is one of the best (if not the best) hamster mixes out there - it's got the right protein balance and it contains prebiotics to help maintain a healthy digestive system. I've always fed it and I've not yet had a hamster with diarrhoea or tummy problems so I swear by it!

As for fresh foods there are loads you can give a hamster! Just remember that the hamster mix needs to be the main part of the diet and always give fresh foods and supplements in small amounts. I only feed hamster mix every other day to encourage them to eat more of the stuff they don't like as much.

I feed porridge, rice and lactol rice pudding and cooked pasta (they love spagetti!) about once a week each in small amounts. For a little extra protein I occasioanlly give a little piece of scrambled egg or omlette. I also feed fresh veggies about five times a week - tiny pieces of courgette, carrot, peppers, broccoli etc. Then about once a week mine also get a cooked dinner - ie chicken, boiled or roast potato, carrots, green beans, broccoli, peas and corn - all cooked with no salt and in tiny amounts - literally one pea etc. Always build up very gradually when giving fresh veggies.

I also find young hamsters do well on a little baby food - I like the Hipp organic stage two foods but they aren't very economical if you've only one or two hamsters.

Mine love the yoggie drops too but I only give them once or twice a week as I'm not sure too many are beneficial - you could try giving a little piece of raw veggie instead some nights if you wanted to give yours less.
Holly is offline   Reply With Quote