View Single Post
Old 08-04-2011, 12:36 PM  
kyrilliondaemon
Retired Moderator

Default Re: Good vets finder

I'm near Aberystwyth in Mid-Wales and thought I'd mention the two local vets I know of.

Do NOT go to WJ Downes on Park Avenue (the one on the same road as the retail park with pets at home in).
We registered there as it was the only vet we knew of in the area but are changing asap now.
The receptionist refused to regard "sable" as hamster colouring, and when I asked if they treated "roborovski dwarf hamsters" I got the staff really confused before they went "are they smaller than mice? because we treat mice". I've since heard nasty stories about their treatment of animals belonging to other people and discovered that they "have particular interest and experience in treating cattle, sheep, poultry, pigs and goats".
Turns out that hes an ex-farm vet. Lovely.
They won't be seeing any of our hamsters.

We've been advised to try this place instead. Ystwyth Vets
The person who reccomended them used to own rats and usually goes there for her cats to be treated.
We haven't been there yet but I can't find any vets other than this one or Downes, so unless I find another then its guaranteed to be no contest, these are the better vets.

We'll be registering as soon as I sort out a fact-sheet of our hamsters.
(I get frustrated when repeating the same info for multiple hamsters and figure a fact sheet will tell them all they need to know about each hamster, and save me getting asked. We'll also be using photos to show the colouring so that they can decide what they want to call it and save us a job lol)