View Single Post
Old 11-18-2007, 07:53 AM  
DonnaB
Hamster Pup

Default New Hammie Behaviour

I adopted a rescue Syrian hamster yesterday and I'm curious about her behaviour. Its been such a long time since I last had one, I've almost totally forgotten whats its like and what 'normal' is.

About 3 weeks ago she was supposedly 8-10 weeks old and she was only split from her sister yesterday, and there had been no fighting, so I guess she is quite young.

I only really handled her to transport her from carrier to cage, but on first handling, she squeaked and chirped, presumably out of fear and kept trying to lay on her back and get away from me by going in circles, in what seemed like a very submissive position, with no biting or aggression. I know shes obviously going to be stressed by the travelling and moving to somwhere new with new people, and also the loss of her sister, but does this sound normal-ish. ??

I plan on giving her a few days to settle down before I handle her again, but I dont remember my last hammies acting like that.... but its years ago. The poor girl didnt have a very good start to life and she was dumped in a park with her sister, so I want to do my best for her. Any comments and advice greatly appreciated.

DonnaB is offline   Reply With Quote