View Single Post
Old 04-18-2005, 06:29 AM  
SnuggleHam
Former Admin

Hello Nowiegirl,

Congratulations on the new hamster From the sound of things considering that you just purchased him I feel that at this point you are doing everything absolutely right despite your nervousness. You probably don’t want to force your hamster to be held soon after its brought home. They need time to adjust to their new cage and the sounds and smells that are common in your home. The best thing to do at this point it to allow the hamster to get use to your presence and scent. Offering a treat and letting it sniff you is a great way to get you both use to each other! So good job on doing that

I would continue doing what you have been doing for a while longer; maybe a few more days or maybe even a week if that’s what it takes for you to get use to your hamster and for your hamster to get use to you. Once you have spent time with the hamster by offering treats and trying to stroke it back it may ease your nervousness around him.

One thing I suggest is not to be jumpy with your hand movements, Jerking your hand back if that hamster jumps when you pet it may cause it more alarm then necessary so just try and be smooth and gentle.

One thing you could try is placing a large cup in the cage and let the hamster crawl into it then take it out and find a safe place to sit and allow the hamster to walk onto the palm of your hands on its terms.

I think that maybe you should give the hamster a good two weeks in its new cage getting use to you and its surroundings before finally transferring it to the bin cage if your worried about stressing it out or having it catch wet tail. But wait and see what other members feel about the move.

My hamster Gerald has a comfort wheel and it does make a bit of noise. But I also have three silent spinners for my other rodents and I can see just by looking at one and Gerald that he would not fit on it to comfortable, Syrians just get to big. The SS can be good for a younger Syrian but eventually they will out grow it. I haven’t used a wodent wheel so id just wait to see what someone else says about them

But I honestly think you are doing a great job so far, there is no need to push things, so long as your hamster gets to interact with you on some level even if through the cage bars it is good socialization.
SnuggleHam is offline   Reply With Quote