View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011, 06:00 AM  
racinghamster
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: $$ A Trip to the Vet? $$

U.S veretinary prices do tend to be high in comparison to what we pay here in the UK. If I have to attend my vet with my mice or in the past, one of my gerbils or hamsters, it never costs me more than £10 and that includes the consultation! Sometimes it has been a little more, but that was due to having antibiotics other than Baytril prescribed or surgery costs.

It`s easy to say that people should look into veterinary fees before they acquire a pet, but with small pets like hammies and mice etc, you never expect the charges to be that high, when indeed, they are. Then if the parents are the ones footing the veterinary bills (if the pet belongs to a non-householder or minor) this can also result in them refusing blankly to pay such a charge. So they are responsible for researching what vets cost before agreeing to buy the $5 hamster from the store! It`s the same old scenarion. Buy the pet for peanuts but then expect to pay a small fortune if it needs to see a vet. It`s such a shame and yet, pet shops and stores are happy to churn out small pets to anyone who walks in their doors regardless of whether they would pay to see a vet or not. If you want a mortgage, first you have to provide proof that you have security on the loan. If you buy a hamster or other small pet, nobody cares.

I suggest a savings account purely for vet fees. Although it might take you a while to save enough depending on how you source it! Your parents should be responsible for half those fees though since they are responsible for buying the hamster in the first place? With all pets comes responsibility. Don`t let them forget that juliedn. If you love your little hamster, make sure you have some funds put away towards his care.