View Single Post
Old 03-18-2011, 08:33 AM  
laura
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Is your hamster diabetic?

I just wanted to add that the pee smell can be so sweet smelling that it's kind of pleasant (sounds weird I know) and that the excessive drinking can be really obvious. My hamster had diabetes and he used to drink a whole bottle of water within a few days (you can get something to hydrate them more efficiently to put in their drink from the vet).

Also, I would love to be able to source this because I'm certain I read this somewhere but I couldn't say how proven or true it is. I read that diabetes seems to be more commonly found in hamsters with the red eyes because it gets carried with this gene or something (even the dark 'scarlet' red which my hamster had). I think I dug really deep on the internet to find this out as I've not been able to find it again, it wasn't just on a hamster webpage that you come across easily. I don't think it was just talking about hamsters either, but perhaps rodents with red eyes in general. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

Just thought I'd post this on here as if it's true, it might be easier to spot diabetes earlier on and help the hamsters live a happy life. One last thing, lettuce and fresh vegetables really seems to help hydrate them and keep them happy (my hamster would get grouchy without them if I remember correctly).
laura is offline   Reply With Quote