View Single Post
Old 07-20-2007, 09:24 AM  
Holly
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Diabetes in a Syrian? Or something else?

I know that diabetes can be common in certain dwarf breeds - how common is it in Syrians?

I'm asking because my beloved Mocha seems to be drinking and peeing a lot more these past few days

He seems otherwise completely normal for him - he's waking at the same time, seems as active as normal and doesn't look unwell in any way. He's a "bottle biter" so at first I thought the water was leaking into the cage while he was biting the spout. However the cage isn't wet and he's definitely peeing more so I've had to conclude he's drinking more.

What should I do? I can take him to the vet no problem but a) what will they actually do for him? and b) is the vet trip worth stressing him out over when he seems well in himself - I don't want them sticking needles in him etc if there's nothing they can actually do for him....if that makes sense??

Could it be something else? Does anyone know the symptoms of early kidney failure? If it is diabetes what foods should I avoid giving him (besides the obvious sugary commercial hamster treats)?

He's 8 months old and has otherwise been totally healthy.
Holly is offline   Reply With Quote