Thread: Nibbling??
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2007, 01:59 AM  
Holly
PM Fluffy for custom title

We did the same again later in the evening and it went well with no nipping at all. Both WW's climbed happily all over both of us (including right up to our faces and over our shoulders) and generally didn't act like scared or untame hamsters at all. They also didn't nip when Will lifted them out of the cage and I lifted them back in - the only times we actually "held" them in our hands.

So I think I might have hit on the problem.

Could it be that we are trying to hold them too much? All three of our Syrians are happy to sit in our hands for quite long periods of time and I wonder if we've been trying to do the same with two dwarf hamsters who'd be happier running and climbing on us? Up until now, apart from getting them both out at once, we've treated them the same as the Syrians ie/ scooped them up as soon as they climb off our hands/arms. Could it be that they don't want to sit still (ish) on us and that we've been trying to hold them for too long periods which isn't natural for them? They seemed really happy to be running around all over us last night - I can't put my finger on how I know but they seemed to be really enjoying it!

I've read in a lot of places that dwarf hams are generally less "cuddly" than Syrians and will usually tolerate being held a lot less. Perhaps, because they were so tame when we got them, we've stupidly been trying to actually hold them all the time when we should be letting them climb?????

Anyway I'm carrying on with the "plan" and I'm much happier now (hopefully they are as well).
Holly is offline   Reply With Quote