View Single Post
Old 03-28-2005, 05:34 PM  
babyboos
Retired Moderators

Send a message via MSN to babyboos Send a message via Yahoo to babyboos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma
Do your robos have a particular scent babyboos, more than the other hamster species?

Hmm... It is distinctive, but they really do not smell half as much as my Winter White Russian Dwarves, and to be honest I can go over a fortnight without cleaning their enclosures out. My guys are all very good at using their potties/sand baths and I use a special litter mix for them which seems to be very good at absorbing any odours. Often I think I am cleaning them out for the sake of it rather than because they particularly need it. I don't beat myself up if I am running short of time and need to leave them till the next night for example. My Diabetic Campbell's Russian Dwarf Hamsters on the other hand need cleaned out a lot!

I would say I only really smell the Roborovski Dwarves when I am changing their potties and disturb their bedding when cleaning them out. The smell seems to sink through the litter to the bottom of the enclosure. They also live in Duna cages rather than wire cages like most of my other hamsters so this may well help to keep smells down, although they used to have plastic houses and the condensation seemed to build up in them and phew did it smell when you opened them! I don't have any ladies living alone currently to test the smell from their enclosure to a males, or mixed group, sorry.

The scent gland on the male Roborovski Dwarf is quite distinctive Candace so hopefully you will be able to tell soon if you have little boys or girls
babyboos is offline   Reply With Quote