View Single Post
Old 02-05-2007, 11:56 AM  
Holly
PM Fluffy for custom title

Quote:
Originally Posted by pophammy
We have taken our hammies outdoors in summer and let them have a play in the grass before and they really enjoy it! We make sure we monitor them carefully at all times and if they try and nibble something then we pick them up and stop them, but as long as there is no weedkillers or anything on the grass there is no danger!
Thanks Pophammy, sounds like sensible advice. As I said I plan to get them into the run using a secure hamster carrier and will stay with them at all times once in the run. I've never used weedkiller or any other chemicals on my garden as I grow organic vegetables and I've lived here for almost four years so I don't think there's any danger there. I keep the grass short in summer so I'll be able to see exactly what they are nibbling on and stop them immediately if they look to be doing anything dangerous, plus watch for insects etc.

I think I might give it a try so I'll get the run ready while I'm waiting for the summer to come - I'll try them in it indoors to see if I need to change the wire mesh.

What gave me the idea is that I recently bought an old copy of The Observer's Book of Pets on ebay - this book was my favourite read for about five years from when I was aged about nine. I wasn't alllowed any pets until I was 13 when we got rabbits but what I really wanted was a hamster. My mum is terrified of rodents in general so, needless to say, I never got one . Anyway, this book has a lovely line drawning of a girl in the garden with her hamster. He is in a pen made up of four planks and bricks (I definitely prefer something more secure and enclosed now!) and I spent about five years dreaming that that was me with my hamster!!

Thanks for the advice!
Holly is offline   Reply With Quote