Thread: bitten
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2005, 08:04 AM  
Emma
Hamster Addict

Send a message via MSN to Emma

Hamster chocolate is treated in some way (not sure how) so that it doesn't melt in the pouches, unlike normal chocolate. It should only be an occasional treat I think but it does seem to go down well with the hams!

It's not uncommon at all for new pet shop hamsters to nip occasionally. They won't be used to daily handling, and what with all the new sights and smells they're going to be a little on their guard.

I'm assuming if he's only two months old you've only just got him? It might be an idea to let him settle in his cage for a day or two before you start trying to handle him. That way he'll be a little happier about where he is before you try and introduce yourself to him too.

When you do start to handle him, wash you hands so you don't smell like food (although watch which soap you use, I had a consistent biter that in the end we worked out she liked the taste of the soap I used!) Let him sniff your hand a little bit first before trying to cup him in both hands. It's better to start slowly, with short handling sessions (maybe only a minute or so) once or twice a day, and build it up until they're used to you.

Just bear with him, I'm sure you'll have a cuddly hamster in no time

We love pictures here too if you have a digital camera!

Emma x

Hamster Central Moderator

Owned by Merry, Pippin, Lola & Shirley (roborovskis) Toby & Hazel (syrians)

Missing my angel Phoebe