Thread: bar chewing
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2010, 02:13 AM  
Hope
Retired Moderator

Default Re: bar chewing

Quote:
Originally Posted by gav100 View Post
i just posted a thing about a bald patch but lucky i am so nosey because this caught my eye

"they can break teeth or get sores on their noses if they do it too often"

i think gavin has a sore, what can i do about this..? will this require a trip to the vets..?
and i too am very intrigued on how to stop this bar chewing. despite what i put in her cage and buying her salt licky things and stuff the only thing i have found gav is remotely interested in is toilet roll tubes. and i am not sure they're really that efficient at keeping her teeth down.
Hi Gav - It should heal on its own - just check that it doesnt get infected, or stay too long. Of course if she is a persistant bar chewer it may well do. You could try cable tying a wooden toy to the area where she bar chews so that she can chew that instead, or try waving cardbord strips in and out of the wires.

Memeber Princess Rhi had a terrible time with bar chewing and she managed to perspex part of the cage so that her hammy no longer hand access to the bars the link is here

Perspexed - Rhi -1 Bar Chewer - 0

Or you could try her in a cage with no bars like a zoozone, or Duna Multy or a glass tank if it get very bad.