Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Navigation
Front Page
Forum
Gallery
Wiki

Ads by Google


Go Back   Hamster Central > >

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2019, 11:27 AM   #1
Schwartzie
Adult Hamster
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 358
Default Road to Ragna

I havenít got Ragna yet. I love different genres of TV series and in the Historic section after Game Of Thrones I love Vikings. My husbandís cat is called Flokie after being called Lagartha because the pet shop guy told us he was female...oh my word...I promise we wonít get the gender thing wrong this time Soufflť - eeekkk - promise. My hamsterís name is Ragna after Ragna Lothbrooke not Rosie (Please see thread on oily fur to enjoy the comical side of that comment) courtesy of Shannonmcn. I have no idea what colour he will be but am so so excited to meet him.

This thread is a thread documenting the life of Ragna and I feel despite not meeting him yet, his journey began with me signing up to this forum. His journey began with me asking question after question and sitting for hours pouring over the internet to find suitable materials for his habitat. Iíve sat drawing out logs, hideouts, coconut houses, sand baths etc to scale to make sure I ordered enough things for Ragna. Like you all keep saying - he just might not like that certain log! Finding the rabbit cage and adjusting it with my hubby was so much fun. My hubby has been so supportive and really interested. His first pet ever was Flokie who he loves to bits. He is excited to learn about handling and taming a hamster.

The best part of this journey so far has been meeting all of you. Iíve never met you face to face or know some of your names but all of you have been so kind. You have patiently answered my questions and are excited with me which makes me feel part of something. To feel part of something feels good.

I really canít wait to meet my hamster but first I have to wait for his 51 items that are split into 3 different dates and those 3 different dates are divided into batches so itís like 20 different deliveries...grief!!! I might have bought too many things for my Ragna but I wanted him to have a variety and I also wanted to design a cage set up that he will love and enjoy. I had 2 hamsters as a child who lived in tiny cages and with minute wheels - I honestly didnít know any better - maybe those 2 hamsters will forgive my ignorance when they see a happy Ragna ruling his roost.

I hope the next 3 weeks speed by for my sanity as well as all your sanity - lol -and my deliveries arrive quicker than expected. I keep tracking them and some are still in the USA - does anyone know anyone in the USA who knows someone who works for courier companies - hahahaha! The road to Ragna so far has been amazing...Iíve learnt so much and just canít wait for the next part of the journey!

A special thanks to Luna G, Serendipity, Shannonmcn, Soufflť, Ria, Coco and the other members for investing in me and making it possible for a hamster to be owned by someone who has the support and kindness of hamster owners who make a difference.
Schwartzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 02:33 PM   #2
Shannonmcn
PM Fluffy for custom title
 
Shannonmcn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland
Posts: 3,124
Default Re: Road to Ragna

I am so excited for you!!! I have never known a person to do so much detailed, in depth research and it's been so so lovely to see <3

Love the name Ragna!! Maybe slightly biased as my smallest boy is Ragnarock lol

Three weeks will fly by. It's not long compared to the many happy years of insane hamster-adventures you have ahead of you
Shannonmcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 02:35 PM   #3
Ria P
Senior Hamster
 
Ria P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: South of England
Posts: 592
Default Re: Road to Ragna

Aaaw, what a lovely threat. Thank you Schwartzie.

I am also looking forward to meet Ragna and to get to know him. What is he going to look like? What kind of personality will he have? Which of his 51 items will he choose and which ones will he ignore? Is he going to be social and like humans or will he be a loner and just about tolerate humans? He may be shy and timid always hiding or sitting by the gate waiting to come out. The journey has started but there is so much more to come.

I'm 61 but feel like a child sometimes. Excited by little things like my hamster poking his nose out or watching him washing himself with his tiny paws is just so cute and entertaining.

Then there is his home which i'm trying to tailor to his needs, activities and habits. It takes time to set up a hamster home because we have to get to know the hamster first and observe him for a while to find out what he does and likes.

Henry doesn't burrow or climb the bars but seeks out an obstacle course to get about in his cage. He could easily step off his house and walk straight to his other nest but often climbs over his water bowl first steps onto logs squeezes under the wheel and over a pot to get to it. He likes to be above ground and sits in his hay basket or shelves to ponder or snooze.

Today i made him a path to walk right across his cage but above ground. It leads from a shelf through a tunnel to a ladder. At the other end he can either go onto the roof of his house or another shelf.
I'll add a photo. On the other photo i had taken one half of the roof off to ask him if he wanted a freshly cooked strand of spaghetti. He got out of his bed for it and ate it then went back so i put the roof back on.

I am so curious to see what your hamster will be like and i'm also looking forward to lots of photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190627_165405.jpg (2.83 MB, 16 views)
Ria P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 02:41 PM   #4
Ria P
Senior Hamster
 
Ria P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: South of England
Posts: 592
Default Re: Road to Ragna

Not sure what happened to the other photo. Try again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190627_181044.jpg (2.81 MB, 16 views)
Ria P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:10 PM   #5
Schwartzie
Adult Hamster
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 358
Default Re: Road to Ragna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannonmcn View Post
I am so excited for you!!! I have never known a person to do so much detailed, in depth research and it's been so so lovely to see <3

Love the name Ragna!! Maybe slightly biased as my smallest boy is Ragnarock lol

Three weeks will fly by. It's not long compared to the many happy years of insane hamster-adventures you have ahead of you
Great minds think alike☺️☺️

Yes, the weeks must fly!!
Schwartzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:12 PM   #6
Schwartzie
Adult Hamster
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 358
Default Re: Road to Ragna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
Aaaw, what a lovely threat. Thank you Schwartzie.

I am also looking forward to meet Ragna and to get to know him. What is he going to look like? What kind of personality will he have? Which of his 51 items will he choose and which ones will he ignore? Is he going to be social and like humans or will he be a loner and just about tolerate humans? He may be shy and timid always hiding or sitting by the gate waiting to come out. The journey has started but there is so much more to come.

I'm 61 but feel like a child sometimes. Excited by little things like my hamster poking his nose out or watching him washing himself with his tiny paws is just so cute and entertaining.

Then there is his home which i'm trying to tailor to his needs, activities and habits. It takes time to set up a hamster home because we have to get to know the hamster first and observe him for a while to find out what he does and likes.

Henry doesn't burrow or climb the bars but seeks out an obstacle course to get about in his cage. He could easily step off his house and walk straight to his other nest but often climbs over his water bowl first steps onto logs squeezes under the wheel and over a pot to get to it. He likes to be above ground and sits in his hay basket or shelves to ponder or snooze.

Today i made him a path to walk right across his cage but above ground. It leads from a shelf through a tunnel to a ladder. At the other end he can either go onto the roof of his house or another shelf.
I'll add a photo. On the other photo i had taken one half of the roof off to ask him if he wanted a freshly cooked strand of spaghetti. He got out of his bed for it and ate it then went back so i put the roof back on.

I am so curious to see what your hamster will be like and i'm also looking forward to lots of photos.
Love your setup! I just canít wait! I also canít wait to get to know my hamster!
Schwartzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:00 AM   #7
LunaTheHamster1
Hamster Pup
 
LunaTheHamster1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 240
Default Re: Road to Ragna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartzie View Post
I havenít got Ragna yet. I love different genres of TV series and in the Historic section after Game Of Thrones I love Vikings. My husbandís cat is called Flokie after being called Lagartha because the pet shop guy told us he was female...oh my word...I promise we wonít get the gender thing wrong this time Soufflť - eeekkk - promise. My hamsterís name is Ragna after Ragna Lothbrooke not Rosie (Please see thread on oily fur to enjoy the comical side of that comment) courtesy of Shannonmcn. I have no idea what colour he will be but am so so excited to meet him.

This thread is a thread documenting the life of Ragna and I feel despite not meeting him yet, his journey began with me signing up to this forum. His journey began with me asking question after question and sitting for hours pouring over the internet to find suitable materials for his habitat. Iíve sat drawing out logs, hideouts, coconut houses, sand baths etc to scale to make sure I ordered enough things for Ragna. Like you all keep saying - he just might not like that certain log! Finding the rabbit cage and adjusting it with my hubby was so much fun. My hubby has been so supportive and really interested. His first pet ever was Flokie who he loves to bits. He is excited to learn about handling and taming a hamster.

The best part of this journey so far has been meeting all of you. Iíve never met you face to face or know some of your names but all of you have been so kind. You have patiently answered my questions and are excited with me which makes me feel part of something. To feel part of something feels good.

I really canít wait to meet my hamster but first I have to wait for his 51 items that are split into 3 different dates and those 3 different dates are divided into batches so itís like 20 different deliveries...grief!!! I might have bought too many things for my Ragna but I wanted him to have a variety and I also wanted to design a cage set up that he will love and enjoy. I had 2 hamsters as a child who lived in tiny cages and with minute wheels - I honestly didnít know any better - maybe those 2 hamsters will forgive my ignorance when they see a happy Ragna ruling his roost.

I hope the next 3 weeks speed by for my sanity as well as all your sanity - lol -and my deliveries arrive quicker than expected. I keep tracking them and some are still in the USA - does anyone know anyone in the USA who knows someone who works for courier companies - hahahaha! The road to Ragna so far has been amazing...Iíve learnt so much and just canít wait for the next part of the journey!

A special thanks to Luna G, Serendipity, Shannonmcn, Soufflť, Ria, Coco and the other members for investing in me and making it possible for a hamster to be owned by someone who has the support and kindness of hamster owners who make a difference.
Aww nice idea to do this thread. I told you once before I will tell you again, I am just impressed with all the research you did and how open to advice you were. I wish all hamster owners were like you. You should be proud of yourself doing what is best for your hammy. Your hamster is going to be one lucky hammy to come live with you.
__________________
Luna's YouTube Channel
LunaTheHamster1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 12:03 PM   #8
Schwartzie
Adult Hamster
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 358
Default Re: Road to Ragna

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaTheHamster1 View Post
Aww nice idea to do this thread. I told you once before I will tell you again, I am just impressed with all the research you did and how open to advice you were. I wish all hamster owners were like you. You should be proud of yourself doing what is best for your hammy. Your hamster is going to be one lucky hammy to come live with you.
Thanks Lunaís G, thatís one thing I canít wait to do...I canít wait to take the advice and knowledge I was given and start putting it into practice starting with my cage layout. Iím so so happy I had the will power to wait and not jump into it. I looked at my original order and was really shocked at how much it changed because I saw on the forum how people had tried this and that and read how much better this or that was. I honestly advise any new hamster owner to wait and learn a bit first - to actually make lists and draw things out. I have the next phase to learn about with bringing Ragna home and beginning his taming process.

Iím loving being on this forum...everything I have ordered for my Ragna or wanting to do for him stems from the knowledge I gained from members here.
Schwartzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 01:37 PM   #9
Shannonmcn
PM Fluffy for custom title
 
Shannonmcn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland
Posts: 3,124
Default Re: Road to Ragna

Thinking back to how I leaped back into hammy ownership... Yeah. You did it right. I came here and got a very unpleasant shock. But it was all for the good! If you can't always be right the first time, make damn sure you're right every time after. Bless this place <3
Shannonmcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 01:42 PM   #10
Ria P
Senior Hamster
 
Ria P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: South of England
Posts: 592
Default Re: Road to Ragna

I've just cross referenced from the cage threat which i believe is non chat and picture only.

The hanging ornamental things in Henry's cage are from the shop and already had a string attached.
The one i used to hold the wicker tunnel in place is from my bit and bobs box so i don't know what its made of. It looks natural, something like jute i guess.
I just checked my Amazon account and the tiles i used are listed as Extsud 10 Pcs Sticker Decal Tile. They look like vinyl, easy to cut, stick on and then have a thin protective film that peels off. They are easy to remove too. I took them off Henry's first cage when i sold it to a dwarf hamster.
Ria P is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ragna, journey, part, hamster, excited, feel, love, iíve, thread, wait, question, hamsters, make, meeting, meet, usa, sanity, began, dates, face, road, canít, wanted, cage, hubby

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Parts of this site powered by vBulletin Mods & Addons from DragonByte Technologies Ltd. (Details)
Copyright © 2003-17, Hobby Solutions Inc.
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:17 AM.