Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Navigation
Front Page
Forum
Gallery
Wiki

Ads by Google


Go Back   Hamster Central > >

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2018, 07:22 AM   #1
Jesika_
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Medan
Posts: 47
Send a message via Skype™ to Jesika_
Default Help!!

My newest hamster is skinny...
I got 1 fenale hamster younger than he 1month, 2times bigger than he.
He is little bald too..

Attached : see those reddish one, that is his skin.

He eat very little and like to sleep..
Anyone can tell what should i feed him?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG20181029204747.jpg (608.1 KB, 27 views)
Jesika_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:18 AM   #2
cypher
Dwarf whisperer
 
cypher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wales UK
Posts: 23,480
Default Re: Help!!

What are you feeding him now? I can't remember which mixes you can get where you are.
His coat does look thin in places, make sure he's getting enough protein, his mix needs to be around 18-19% protein if it's less then you need to supplement it with things like chicken (just plain cooked or dried) mealworms, a little cooked egg, tofu, some extra nuts & seeds would be good to, flax seeds can be very good for the skin & coat condition. Hemp seeds are good too for overall nutrition, just a few added to his mix if you can get them.
Can you get brewers yeast (sold either as a supplementary powder or tablets you can crush)? If you can a tiny bit of that sprinkled on his food would be good if he likes it, some do some don't.
Introduce him to fresh veg too, slowly though, just a little piece once every few days to begin with building up to daily, I would focus on green veg, broccoli, spinach, kale, things like that for now.
Hope that helps.
__________________
Slave to Míriel, Zak, Calyanwë & Gusto.
Always loved, never forgotten, forever in my heart
T'ycor, Ziggy, Zephyr, Flynt, Mickle, Little Whisp, Zen, Zeki, Tinwë & Zylvan
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:32 PM   #3
Jesika_
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Medan
Posts: 47
Send a message via Skype™ to Jesika_
Default Re: Help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
What are you feeding him now? I can't remember which mixes you can get where you are.
His coat does look thin in places, make sure he's getting enough protein, his mix needs to be around 18-19% protein if it's less then you need to supplement it with things like chicken (just plain cooked or dried) mealworms, a little cooked egg, tofu, some extra nuts & seeds would be good to, flax seeds can be very good for the skin & coat condition. Hemp seeds are good too for overall nutrition, just a few added to his mix if you can get them.
Can you get brewers yeast (sold either as a supplementary powder or tablets you can crush)? If you can a tiny bit of that sprinkled on his food would be good if he likes it, some do some don't.
Introduce him to fresh veg too, slowly though, just a little piece once every few days to begin with building up to daily, I would focus on green veg, broccoli, spinach, kale, things like that for now.
Hope that helps.
I am from Indonesia. Mix I can get is only Vitakraft Vital Menu & Life Power. We also got Morning Sun ( They dislike this and only eat when they have no choice ). Now I am feeding ownmade mix where I gather all seed like, peanut, sesame seed, brown rice, millet, grain, green beans. And mix them all together.
This skinny one, didn't eat any of them.
I gave him celery, also dont eat. Bean also didnt eat.
My furthest achievement is plain yogurt and a tiny of banana.
He just eat that...
Yes, we got nutritional yeast and flaxseed, but in other town. Must buy online, which is no problem.. I definitely will purchase flaxseed, brewer yeast, and mealworm.
Thanks for the good information, I will try all your suggestion, and update it again.
Jesika_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:34 PM   #4
cypher
Dwarf whisperer
 
cypher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wales UK
Posts: 23,480
Default Re: Help!!

I know it's difficult when you can't get good mixes but you do need to be careful if you're mixing things up yourself as you can't know with out doing quite a bit of research & calculations what nutrients they are getting, they probably won't be getting a balanced diet & may have deficiencies. It maybe be better to give the commercial mix then just top up protein if needed & give a good variety of fresh veg, a lot of hams aren't keen on celery tbh, try more green leafy veg & broccoli.
If he's underweight & not eating well you could also give a little porridge, just some rolled oats cooked in water & cooled.
__________________
Slave to Míriel, Zak, Calyanwë & Gusto.
Always loved, never forgotten, forever in my heart
T'ycor, Ziggy, Zephyr, Flynt, Mickle, Little Whisp, Zen, Zeki, Tinwë & Zylvan
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:58 PM   #5
Jesika_
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Medan
Posts: 47
Send a message via Skype™ to Jesika_
Default Re: Help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
I know it's difficult when you can't get good mixes but you do need to be careful if you're mixing things up yourself as you can't know with out doing quite a bit of research & calculations what nutrients they are getting, they probably won't be getting a balanced diet & may have deficiencies. It maybe be better to give the commercial mix then just top up protein if needed & give a good variety of fresh veg, a lot of hams aren't keen on celery tbh, try more green leafy veg & broccoli.
If he's underweight & not eating well you could also give a little porridge, just some rolled oats cooked in water & cooled.
Yeah, I sometimes wish I am living in UK. Hahaha.
I do little research, wellness ( best hamster food I can find in Indonesia ) protein in 16%, while Harry Hamster ( none in Indonesia ) is 17%. Versele Laga Hamster Nature also 17% protein. Says, I can find three of them in my countries, which one do you recommend? I can figure how I can get Harry Hamster I think. Viovet can ship internationally. Cost much money and time though. Versele Laga is limited but I can find it. Wellness is always ready. What portion do you recommend me to give tofu/boiled egg to my hamster?
Flaxseed and nutritional yeast also available here but pricey. I can manage to find money to purchase it.
Jesika_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:14 AM   #6
cypher
Dwarf whisperer
 
cypher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wales UK
Posts: 23,480
Default Re: Help!!

I just had a look for the wellness food & it does have a few dubious ingredients but so does Versele Laga Hamster Nature really, it has a lot of fruit in it which isn't appropriate for a hamster mix so there's not much to choose between the two really if that's all you can get.
If you can order from viovet you could get a few bags & just keep it in the freezer so it would last you a long time.

Only small pieces of things like tofu or egg (the egg white has most protein but for an underweight ham that hasn't been eating some yolk would be fine too) maybe about 1cm square would be enough, you could give one of these protein extras daily for now but try to vary it not the same each day.
__________________
Slave to Míriel, Zak, Calyanwë & Gusto.
Always loved, never forgotten, forever in my heart
T'ycor, Ziggy, Zephyr, Flynt, Mickle, Little Whisp, Zen, Zeki, Tinwë & Zylvan
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:57 AM   #7
Jesika_
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Medan
Posts: 47
Send a message via Skype™ to Jesika_
Default Re: Help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
I just had a look for the wellness food & it does have a few dubious ingredients but so does Versele Laga Hamster Nature really, it has a lot of fruit in it which isn't appropriate for a hamster mix so there's not much to choose between the two really if that's all you can get.
If you can order from viovet you could get a few bags & just keep it in the freezer so it would last you a long time.

Only small pieces of things like tofu or egg (the egg white has most protein but for an underweight ham that hasn't been eating some yolk would be fine too) maybe about 1cm square would be enough, you could give one of these protein extras daily for now but try to vary it not the same each day.
So still Harry Hamster is the winner for hamster mix, isnt it? I also just discuss this Harry Hamster thing, turn out Singapore has Harry Hamster. Yeay! Singapore and Indonesia is near. Besides, many Medanese goes to Singapore just for escape their hectic week.. I hope I can settle it asap.
Also, is the stress one of the factor they lose their hair?
Jesika_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 03:02 AM   #8
cypher
Dwarf whisperer
 
cypher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wales UK
Posts: 23,480
Default Re: Help!!

If you can get the harry hamster mix that would be great for them.

Stress can be a factor in hair loss, it can be lots of things really though so not always easy to tell for sure, if you get the brewers yeast that can help with the effects of stress.
__________________
Slave to Míriel, Zak, Calyanwë & Gusto.
Always loved, never forgotten, forever in my heart
T'ycor, Ziggy, Zephyr, Flynt, Mickle, Little Whisp, Zen, Zeki, Tinwë & Zylvan
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 03:51 AM   #9
Jesika_
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Medan
Posts: 47
Send a message via Skype™ to Jesika_
Default Re: Help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
If you can get the harry hamster mix that would be great for them.

Stress can be a factor in hair loss, it can be lots of things really though so not always easy to tell for sure, if you get the brewers yeast that can help with the effects of stress.
Yes, I can get the brewer yeast and flaxseed.
Other city have it and I can order. Its Harry..
I must wait for my friends.
Thanks very much for your helping.
Jesika_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 04:23 AM   #10
Jesika_
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Medan
Posts: 47
Send a message via Skype™ to Jesika_
Default Re: Help!!

One more, is VitaKraft Vita Nature good?
I see their nutrition facts ( 15% protein; 4% fat; 13% fiber ) its quite good, isn't it?
Jesika_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
eat, feed, hamster, skin, sleep

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Parts of this site powered by vBulletin Mods & Addons from DragonByte Technologies Ltd. (Details)
Copyright © 2003-19, Hobby Solutions Inc.
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:52 AM.