Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search
Navigation
Front Page
Forum
Gallery
Wiki

Ads by Google

Go Back   Hamster Central > Hamster Central Forum Topics > DIY (Do it yourself) Hamster Projects!

Notices

Old 08-16-2010, 04:32 PM   #1
Artemis
Newborn Pup

Default Cutting plastic ham cages

Has anyone had any luck cutting the plastic bottoms of hamster cages? I have a Rody Lixit and a Zoo Zone 1 and I wanted to cut circles out of the bottom parts of both to connect them side by side by a short tube. I know a lot of people opt to just take out a few bars and use PVC pipe or a rubber hose type tube to connect through the tops but I really don't like the way that looks and I have two dwarves and I don't want to make them climb up that high. I love the cages outside of that so I don't want to switch to a bin cage or anything. Just not having much luck cutting through this tough plastic, my drill can barely make it through and got nowhere with any of my Xacto knives.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:14 AM   #2
Manda
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Cutting plastic ham cages

I know other people use soldering irons / heated knives to make holes in plastic. I have a handy dremel drill thingy, drills/melts its way through all plastic. You could try searching ' adding tunnels to bin cages' may throw up some ideas.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:41 PM   #3
internet_nobody
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Cutting plastic ham cages

I use a heated knife - obviously you need to be careful, but I found it gave a neater edge than a soldering iron.
internet_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote