Wiki

Ads by Google

Go Back   Hamster Central > Hamster Central Forum Topics > Hamster Healthcare

Notices

Old 11-22-2021, 12:15 PM   #1
SenorStrongArm
Newborn Pup

Unhappy Anything to worry about?

Hi everyone, I just yesterday got my first ever hamster. She has made herself at home quite well, moving food around and such. This morning at 11 am I came out and she was still doing well, I gently scooped her up with both hands and she seemed ok, but then she made a mad dash straight out of my hands and fell aprox. 3 ft onto her back (I think, it happened really fast).

I of course put her back in her enclosure and am now crazy worried. I've been watching her, shes been grooming herself, munching on food and moving around (slowly). But she is still climbing up the tunnel to her little nest and back down. Anything to worry about here? (no limping or anything that I can see, she was just moving about a bit slowly, but maybe she was in shock or something).
SenorStrongArm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 05:09 PM   #2
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: Anything to worry about?

I don't think it possible to say whether there's something to worry about or not.

Yes, hamsters can hurt themselves from a fall especially when landing on their back but saying that, one evening one of my hamsters fell from a bigger height than yours, had a quick wash and continued running around as if nothing had happened.

I suppose if he would have moved around slowly as a result of the fall and still moved around slowly the next day then i would have taken him to the vet for a check up.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 06:50 PM   #3
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Just keep an eye on her. If she's doing ok she's probably fine. But this does happen! Even when they're tame they can suddenly wriggle free and make a break. So rule of thumb is - don't hold them unless it's over something low and soft (eg when sitting on the sofa). If you stand and hold them it's a long drop. Even with older and very tame hamsters, I never pick them up and carry them. I carry them in something from a to b. I have a fleece snooze cube I use - they walk into it and I carry them in that. Or a hamster ball can be useful for that too.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 04:57 PM   #4
Lilafernim
Senior Hamster

Just like serendipity said, I always use a transport vessel until I have reached somewhere safe to put them down. Mine is very jumpy and I’ve had her for over a month now. She’s confident in everything else and I can hold her in my hands but she will still move too quick to react at times, so a tub helps.

And as said you can’t tell if there’s damage really, just watch when they walk for any limps or breathing noises. My previous hamster I once left her on the kitchen side for literally one second when I just went in the living room which is connected, and I just heard this thump. She was fine and I never took her in there again just in case but just watch out for any weird signs.
Lilafernim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 03:35 AM   #5
SenorStrongArm
Newborn Pup

Update: She seems to be doing just fine as far as I can tell
SenorStrongArm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
moving, back, slowly, food, hands