Wiki

Ads by Google

Go Back   Hamster Central > Hamster Central Forum Topics > Memorials

Notices

Old 11-21-2021, 04:57 PM   #1
Milly_Hammy
Newborn Pup

Default My angels

My dear hamsters Remi and Amora went to heaven this year.
Remi was a 2 year old russian dwarf hamster. Amora was a syrian hamster and was 1 year and 5 months old. They both died of illness and I did everything I could to save their lives. When they went to heaven, part of my heart went with them, I will never forget my little children that I will love forever.
What comforts my heart is that they are no longer suffering.
Soon I hope to be with them again and with my other dear animals.
Milly_Hammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 10:09 AM   #2
souffle

Default Re: My angels

I'm sorry for your loss.
Play well at the bridge little ones x
souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 11:10 AM   #3
Lilafernim
Senior Hamster

I’m so sorry for your loss, hamsters definitely become part of our family.

When I lost mine around two months ago, like you I felt my heart went with her, she played such a massive part in my life and got me through a very tough part of my life. She too died unexpectedly from illness and I felt guilty for so long. Since then I have adopted a hamster and it’s given me purpose again, I still love and miss my first hamster of course.

I just worry since you say ‘soon I hope to be with them again’ I don’t know if you mean that how it sounds but just hope you’re coping!
Lilafernim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 12:40 PM   #4
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

I am so sorry for your loss. I felt like that after our first hamster passed - he was my baby. I don’t know if you know the rainbow bridge story but it’s on here and I’ve linked it below.

I’m glad you’ve joined us and many of us have been through this and can understand how it feels.

It is incredibly sad that they died of illnesses, but it’s not your fault. They knew you loved them and were trying to help them and sadly these illnesses can take hold. Did you ever find out what the illness was? (Assuming they both contracted it together?).

It’s a normal part of grief to go through a phase where you feel guilt or that you could have done more, but sometimes these things are out of our hands.

They stay with us in our hearts and I totally agree that what helps you move on is having another hamster friend to care for and share joy with. They need good loving owners.

I was also a bit concerned about your wording about being with them soon. If you are really struggling or feel depressed then please talk to someone. I used the Blue Cross pet bereavement service when our first hamster died (the circumstances were not ideal). And that really helped. You can either talk to them on the phone or use their email service.

Although I notice you’re in Brazil so email probably best! I knew some people from Brazil once and trying to remember some of my Brazilian Portuguese ….Right now all I can think of is - Todo bem? And Corazon x

The Rainbow Bridge
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 06:19 PM   #5
Milly_Hammy
Newborn Pup

Thanks for the kind words, when I found HC thinking it would be a place with people who could understand how much my hamsters mean to me.
As for the "soon" part I wanted to say at the right time when it has to happen, I hadn't realized that a strange phrase aroused, sorry.
But I was feeling I needed to express these thoughts to people who could understand me and not ridicule my feelings, a lot of people did that to me. Thank you so much for reading and writing kind words.
But don't worry guys, I'm struggling to get over it and I try to think that in their memory I need to move on and remember them with joy.
Old 11-23-2021, 06:27 PM   #6
Milly_Hammy
Newborn Pup

Amora had a very serious infection in her uterus, I didn't see signs of illness in her until she stopped running on the wheel. When that happened, she was already very sick, the vet said that I should have surgery to remove the uterus and I pay for the surgery, but Amora died in the end.
Remi he was old and had some tumors that were not operable, he died at home. I don't know the exact cause of Remi's death, but I believe it was some organ failure from the tumor, but he was looking normal the night before he died, I didn't expect him to die that day, it was a surprise.
Old 11-23-2021, 06:47 PM   #7
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

I am so sorry. It sounds like Amora had pyometra. Which is a womb infection. Sadly this is something that some female hamsters can get. It is nothing you have done, and the outcome is usually not good. You tried your best by having her spayed, but the infection does go on to still cause issues sometimes. Remi sounds like he had a good life but got older, and something always starts to fail when they get older. If it isn't tumours, it is kidney, heart or liver failure. It is the sad thing of ageing and when they really need our care more. It's hard to think there is nothing we can do. At least Remi passed at home, where he was loved, and in his own familiar environment.

Our hamsters don't live very long. A year of our life is about 40 of theirs, so a two year old hamster is very old - about 80 in human years.

On the positive side, I find it interesting and nice that we see their whole life span stretch out before us. In a short space of time. From being naughty babies, to terrible teens, to confident middle age. I think the nicest age is when they're about a year old, when they're still very fit and active, but more mellow and confident and less skitty - and also very familiar with us. But from 18 months on, or even a bit earlier sometimes, they start the ageing process, and anything can happen from then on.

Old age and them passing is very sad, and a loss to us. But for them it is their time - they are tired and ready to go. And all we can do is help them by giving them love and comfort or taking them to the vets if they are in pain.

I think maybe you need another baby hamster in your life. To remind you of the joy they can bring and to get past the sadness.
Old 11-23-2021, 11:17 PM   #8
Milly_Hammy
Newborn Pup

I wrote a message here saying that I didn't realize that my phrase "hope to be with them soon..." had taken on a bad meaning, but the message hasn't appeared on the forum yet. I didn't want to worry everyone, sorry.
Thanks for the kind words and thanks for understanding my feelings.
Old 11-24-2021, 05:00 AM   #9
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Do keep coming on here. We have all been able to help each other through these times. We share fun things about hamsters too, and share tips and there’s a monthly photo competition as well.

A lot of people find it helps, after losing a hamster, to have some kind of little memorial. Either a burial or some kind of little tribute to them. Some people bury them in a plant pot and plant something in it. Or in a garden or back yard with something planted there to mark the site. Or scatter ashes and then create a little marker memorial. But basically a way to say goodbye to help accept they are now pain free and at the rainbow bridge.

Different cultures and people have different beliefs but at the core of all of this is what Souffle calls, the circle of life. They never really die, they just go somewhere else where they can’t feel pain - and they didn’t want to leave us, and we miss them, but we thank them for the love and joy they gave us in their little lives and honour them after they have gone.

Your hamsters knew they were loved and that is very important because some pets don’t have loving caring owners. You gave them a wonderful life.

In time we start to remember the nice memories when they were younger and the funny moments. And the pain is less raw.

But it is a process. I read somewhere that when we love a person or pet, our hearts are joined by an invisible string - attaching us. And when they die the string is snapped and the end attached to our heart is wavering around feeling lost with no attachment. But in time that string settles down and gets smaller but stays attached to our hearts and the pain disappears- and we then grow new strings which attach to another loved person or pet. We don’t forget the previous ones - they are still there in our hearts and looking down on us. Imagine them happy and running free, free from pain.
Old 11-24-2021, 12:49 PM   #10
velma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milly_Hammy View Post
Thanks for the kind words, when I found HC thinking it would be a place with people who could understand how much my hamsters mean to me.
As for the "soon" part I wanted to say at the right time when it has to happen, I hadn't realized that a strange phrase aroused, sorry.
But I was feeling I needed to express these thoughts to people who could understand me and not ridicule my feelings, a lot of people did that to me. Thank you so much for reading and writing kind words.
But don't worry guys, I'm struggling to get over it and I try to think that in their memory I need to move on and remember them with joy.
Here you go Milly Hammy, your comment explaining what you meant is up now.
velma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
year, hamster, dear, amora, heaven