Wiki

Ads by Google

Go Back   Hamster Central > Hamster Central Forum Topics > Introductions

Notices

Old 07-16-2021, 05:14 AM   #1
Eliana
Newborn Pup

Default Hi everyone

Hi all, we currently have 3 russian dwarf hamsters, 1 female and 2 males, I always had nice as a child, so when my daughter ( aged 13) wanted a hamster I finally agreed, it took a lot of persuading, and I have to admit that I have fallen in love with this type of hamster, they are just so cute our first hamster is female she is very curious, always willing to get attention and be held, she runs up to greet us when we go by her cage, her favourite treats are seeds, she's a very good hamster, and was quite tame from the beginning. Our 2 boys we bought together brothers, for 4 months they lived together but they started fighting so we have separated them, they are very shy not as curious about us and at first were very scared and timid, it's taken us months to have slowly built up the trust so we can now handle them, and they too now run to great us.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 04:52 AM   #2
Imogen
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Hi everyone

So glad you have jumped back into the world of hamster owning!

Good on you for recognising that the hamsters were not play fighting, ideally hamsters should never live together. So if you purchase 2 or more always separate them from the beginning as they are solitary animals at heart and very territorial.

Yes! Dwarfs are very cute, aren't they? I jumped into the journey of owning that particular species for the first time just over 2 weeks ago now myself, but I do have to say the Syrians still have my heart a bit more; but they are all just as sweet as each other in their own little ways.

You stated how you had mice (?) as a child? Hamster care has improved a lot over the years - do they have good sized cages? 4000cm2 at minimum which is 620 square inch and for females recommended at 5000cm2 which is 775 square inch.

As with taming, yes. It does take time! With dwarfs it is a lot trickier as they're usually more timid.

Tags
hamster, months, curious, female, lived