Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search
Navigation
Front Page
Forum
Gallery
Wiki

Ads by Google

Go Back   Hamster Central > Hamster Central Forum Topics > DIY (Do it yourself) Hamster Projects!

Notices

Old 05-19-2011, 10:25 AM   #1
princessbarbie1988
Adult Hamster

Default Shelves...

Ok, I was going to extend my Savic Cambridge and give Poppy a bin cage too but after a lot of consideration, me and the other half decided we didnt wuite have enough room to expand at the moment so I started thinking about ideas on how I could make the most of the room in the cage... (as tbh there is lots of room in the cage but with only two shelves this seems wasted)

Anyway, I have seen the pictures of everyones cages and thought that maybe I could buy/make some shelves to replace the plastic ones and hopefully utilise the space a lot better... what do you think?

Plus, could anyone recommend where to get shelves from or how to cheaply make them myself?
princessbarbie1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:45 PM   #2
Gizmodo ^_^
Sir Hamalot

Default Re: Shelves...

You can buy a trixie shelf which a lot of people reccomend like these 2:
Trixie Shelter - Surrey Pet Supplies
Trixie Shelter With Steps - Surrey Pet Supplies
Gizmodo ^_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:08 AM   #3
princessbarbie1988
Adult Hamster

I would like to have full shelves as I'm not too keen on the shelves in the cage at the moment (one shelf/level is split into two parts so I cant really put anything on it) so I went to B&Q yesterday and they had some free offcuts (not sure what wood it is, see pictures below) so I picked it up just incase. Would I be able to use this for the shelves if I covered it in something like sticky-back plastic? (haha, how Blue Peter )

I am going to use cable ties to hold the wood on and I'm going to glue metal washers over the hole I make to put the cable ties through so Poppy cant get to the wood and chew at it. What do you think of this idea? Any comments/advice?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0318[1].jpg (91.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0319[1].jpg (95.5 KB, 16 views)
Old 05-21-2011, 09:42 AM   #4
AlexWyattMommy
Senior Hamster

From the pictures it looks like a particle board. If it is, it is full of glue. I don't think the glue is non-toxic and would be very bad if your pet chewed it.

It could just be my monitor. Is it a solid piece of wood? As in, can you see the grain pattern from a tree. Or is made up of tiny little pieces of wood pressed together?
AlexWyattMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:39 AM   #5
princessbarbie1988
Adult Hamster

I think it is made from bits pressed together, but thats why I thought I would cover it with sticky back plastic. Then poppy would be deterred from chewing it. I'm not sure...

My other idea was maybe using kitchen tiles instead! Then I don't have to coat or seal it and pee won't soak into it....?
Old 05-22-2011, 08:49 AM   #6
AlexWyattMommy
Senior Hamster

I never thought about using tile. We redid our entry way, so I have lots of the ceramic tiles left over in various sizes. These have a slight texture to them, not slick like bathroom wall tiles. If they get wet, they are not super slippery.

If others give the okay, I think I will borrow your idea. I can make a frame to hold them from solid unstained poplar wood to attach the legs to hold it up.

Thank you for the idea.
AlexWyattMommy is offline   Reply With Quote