Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search
Navigation
Front Page
Forum
Gallery
Wiki

Ads by Google

Go Back   Hamster Central > Hamster Central Forum Topics > DIY (Do it yourself) Hamster Projects!

Notices

Old 04-11-2011, 10:54 AM   #1
Erin Loves Dwarf Hamsters
Robolicious Bobtails

Default Would this be too narrow?

Im putting together the plans for a hamster cage I am making this summer, its going to be for a LH syrian. Ive been searching the shed and I have found some wood which may be useful to build the cage but although it is the perfect length I feel that it might be a bit narrow.

The length of the wood is 75cm and the width is 28cm.
The cage would be have 3 floors, each 25cm apart and be 75x75cm all the way around, it would come out only 28cm though and Im wondering weather this is too narrow for a syrian.

Here is a very quick scribble drawing of what it looks like in my head (roughly)

What do you guys think? I've never had a syrian before so I dont know if this would be a suitable size, I have a good couple of months before I start it so if you have any other suggestions time isnt an issue
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1110070.jpg (31.9 KB, 107 views)
Erin Loves Dwarf Hamsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:06 AM   #2
alexarcano
Adult Hamster

Default Re: Would this be too narrow?

Is this wood all pre-cut to these sizes or do you have lengths to cut it yourself? The reason I ask is that as far as I know Syrians prefer one long level. Since i de-stacked the bins I have, mine has been using more of the bins more of the time. If that makes sense. In other words he prefers not to climb so much. Personally if you have the space for it I would make it longer with maybe two levels at most. Maybe 125cm long by 50 tall? still gives two levels but more running space for your hammie. Think I would do this even if it means making a join, you can disguse this with sawdust and glue to make a perfectly smooth join if you need to.
alexarcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:26 AM   #3
KatiePillow
PM Fluffy for custom title

I'd say 25cm was too low for a level to have an 8" wheel and a decent amount of substrate,
I'd also say that you'd find the narrowness an issue for fitting things in, I know I did for my dwarf in her temp. aquarium..
KatiePillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:41 AM   #4
Robolicious Bobtails

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexarcano View Post
Is this wood all pre-cut to these sizes or do you have lengths to cut it yourself? The reason I ask is that as far as I know Syrians prefer one long level. Since i de-stacked the bins I have, mine has been using more of the bins more of the time. If that makes sense. In other words he prefers not to climb so much. Personally if you have the space for it I would make it longer with maybe two levels at most. Maybe 125cm long by 50 tall? still gives two levels but more running space for your hammie. Think I would do this even if it means making a join, you can disguse this with sawdust and glue to make a perfectly smooth join if you need to.
Yes they are pre-cut and I never knew they prefered long levels, I thought that was just dwarfs and that syrians liked climbing :L Thank you for this it means I can re think the design with a better outcome for a happier hamster
Old 04-11-2011, 11:58 AM   #5
Robolicious Bobtails

hmm ok what abou this idea, same wood same sizes but insted having the design lying down and without the two shelves, basicaly it would be 75x75 cm still but that would be the floor size, and the wall hight would be 28cm (with mesh on the top of course.) That way and 8" wheel would fit in fine and there would be lots of toy space.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:25 PM   #6
Gizmodo ^_^
Sir Hamalot

Wait im confused lol, would the width still be 28cm?
Gizmodo ^_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:30 PM   #7
KatiePillow
PM Fluffy for custom title

she's effectively turning it on its back instead. floor size seems good, I'd prefer something deeper, but it's down to personal preference
KatiePillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:41 PM   #8
Robolicious Bobtails

Well I could always just buy new wood (and probably will) I was just asking for convenience sake tbh what I would reaaally like is to buy the Savic hamster heaven but its so expensive and I can make it work out cheaper by building a cage instead
Old 04-11-2011, 01:12 PM   #9
alexarcano
Adult Hamster

Taller on each level is better too but if you wanted to make what you have already got then you could fit it around a larger wheel. You could cut a slot for the top of the wheel to fit through, and box it in to stop accidents from happening. If you see what I mean. Also, is it actual wood or is it chipboard or MDF of something else?
alexarcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:14 PM   #10
Amelia66
Hamster Pup

mine loves climbing up levels so i say it depends on the hamster. Looks like it will be a great home after you have made it
Amelia66 is offline   Reply With Quote