Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search
Navigation
Front Page
Forum
Gallery
Wiki

Ads by Google

Go Back   Hamster Central > Hamster Central Forum Topics > DIY (Do it yourself) Hamster Projects!

Notices

Old 01-28-2011, 08:14 AM   #1
Gillzy
Highland Hamster

Default Sen's extension

My stuff arrived from ECF today. I'd ordered the ferplast network attachment and (what I thought was) a crittertrail 10inch tube. Turns out they sent me the 3 pack of tubes, one of the "10inch tubes" is actually 2 medium ones and a small one combined (which I had wanted but they were sold out of! ). And it's turned out better because... well, I'll show you.

These are the two cages I'm connecting - the pink Fantasia and the barred yellow one (dunno what brand it is, got it in p@h)(and the tiny table it has to fit onto ):

This is where I want to connect it from. The middle hole is right on the edge of the top of the yellow cage's bars, and the bottom hole is right on the edge of the yellow cage's base, so has to be top hole:

This made me thankful they had sent me so many tubes, so that I could extend it right over the top. I have a problem here, as the CT tubes are just SLIGHTLY loose in the Fantasia hole, so I'm thinking I'll just super glue the pink ring (seen above) onto it. Also here you can see the ferplast network connector (FNC):

And this is where I will be connecting the tubes to the yellow cage, using the FNC:

I need help on how to cut the bars though. I have a pair of plyers, that have a cutter-bit in the middle, so I HOPE it'll be able to cut through the bars (if not I'll have to ask around for one from someone). BUT how do I mark the bars so I know where to cut? :/ I'm so scared of mucking this up :/

EDIT: Okay, so I tried to use the cutty-bit in our needle-nose pliers and they won't cut the bars. My OH says his father has bolt-cutters, which would probably work. Any suggestions what else would cut these bars?

Last edited by Gillzy; 01-28-2011 at 08:30 AM. Reason: additional info
Gillzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:42 AM   #2
Iluvhamsters
Hamsters Rock

Default Re: Sen's extension

I don't think anything other than bolt-cutters or wire-cutters (not the tiny ones on your needle-nose pliers though) would cut that wire.
Iluvhamsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:43 AM   #3
Camdenita
Hamster Pup

You are holding the connector to the place you want to put it and you see where the circle (that's on the inside part of the connector) touches the wires.
Take a permanent marker and mark the first bar you want to cut at the spots that the circle and the wire meet.
Cut it and then do the same for the rest of them.
Be careful not to cut the wires more than you should.
Better to cut less and then, if the connector is bigger, cut the wire a little bit more.
It's very easy!
When you cut the wire just move the tool right and left many times until the wire is so "squeezed" that breaks.
Hope I helped... My english are not that good so as to give good instructions for something like that!!
Old 01-28-2011, 09:08 AM   #4
Gillzy
Highland Hamster

I'll try and get some bolt-cutters then. My brother says he might have something that'll work, so I'll get that tomorrow.

Your instructions were very good, Camdenita. I'm not sure if I'll be able to see permenant marker on the bars (that was what my main problem was) what I did was take a pair of scissors and try to make marks on it... I'm sure I'll figure something out tomorrow... Even if just I end up snipping off lots of bits a little at a time

Thank you for your help
Old 01-28-2011, 09:21 AM   #5
princess-rhi89
Princess Ham-Fabulous

How about a dot of typex? it wont matter as you will be removing these parts of the bars anyway
<3 And my human baba who was too good for this earth <3
princess-rhi89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:43 AM   #6
Gillzy
Highland Hamster

That's a great idea princess-rhi! I'll ask my bro for his tipex too (I've only got a tipex mouse... which isn't so helpful). Thanks!
Old 01-28-2011, 10:57 AM   #7
Womblehands
Nom Nom Hamster Mum

tipex mouse thats taking me back to my school days...mine was rubbish tho, it would peel right off the paper revealing the mistake...
Old 01-28-2011, 10:59 AM   #8
Gillzy
Highland Hamster

Haha yeh. It should have a warning on it: *Will not withstand rubbing." :P
Old 01-28-2011, 11:45 AM   #9
Camdenita
Hamster Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillzy View Post
I'll try and get some bolt-cutters then. My brother says he might have something that'll work, so I'll get that tomorrow.

Your instructions were very good, Camdenita. I'm not sure if I'll be able to see permenant marker on the bars (that was what my main problem was) what I did was take a pair of scissors and try to make marks on it... I'm sure I'll figure something out tomorrow... Even if just I end up snipping off lots of bits a little at a time

Thank you for your help
Oh ok, I was actually thinking of a white permanent marker I had used for this. The kind of colorful permanent markers that people who do graffiti use.
But typex is indeed a good idea!
Old 01-28-2011, 06:50 PM   #10
Gillzy
Highland Hamster

Well turns out the thing my brother had was a junior saw. And it's rubbish... it barely scraped off the coating on the bars haha. So just gotta wait until I can get a pair of bolt cutters, might not be til Monday night haha I'm so impatient.

I did however, just scrape away where I want to cut (forgot to get tipex *doh*), so only thing left is to cut.

Now, I have some more questions about tubing.

I have found these CRITTERTRAIL FUNNEL PACK OF COLOURFUL CONNECTING TUBES and 8 INCH (EXTENDABLE) HAMSTER / GERBIL/ MOUSE PLAY TUBE on ebay.... and was thinking about getting a couple more of the FNAs and then I just make a tube city. I'm tempted to get 2 of each...

What's the best way to go about tube cities... is it possible to plan them, or best to just get lots of tubes and see what I can make?

Or should I invest this money in other toys instead? (Like this: Super Pet Build n' Bite Medium Hamster Rabbit Degu Toy... temped to get that too... she'd love it!)

Last edited by Gillzy; 01-28-2011 at 07:47 PM.