Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search
Navigation
Front Page
Forum
Gallery
Wiki

Ads by Google

Go Back   Hamster Central > Hamster Central Forum Topics > DIY (Do it yourself) Hamster Projects!

Notices

Old 09-13-2010, 06:05 PM   #1
rockstar11p
Hamster Pup

Default Creative people needed! Tips on how to improve a boring aquarium!

I want to thank you guys for all the help because my mom says there is a 70% chance i am getting a hamster!

Anyway, like some of you may know, I would adopt from a local rescue where they sell hamster set ups for 50$ (buy set up and the hamster is free)

This includes a 10 gallon aquarium, lid, clip, bowl, water bottle, wheel, and a hidey house. Personally i find that its a great deal. I would perfer a ZZ2 but sadly i live in America (lol) Where they are uncommon.

My problem is a 10 gallon aquarium looks very small for a syrian hamster (the one i'm getting. I am very creative and want to decorate the cage with flare!

First i was thinking of buying a 20 gallon aqaurium instead of getting the set up. But my mom is afraid it will be too big. (any pics of a 20g appreciated)

Then I was thinking of putting on a cage topper. Are these safe, good, etc. I have heard mixed opinions on them.

My last idea is kinda stupid. Buy the set up and then buy another 10 g . Then have a tube connecting them. (so stupid idk why i posted it)

I'm really not thrilled with any of these ideas so any help is appreciated.

Links to shopping websites (that ship USA) and other creative ideas for cages or anything else, like toys is greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

I really didn't know where to put this, sorry =(
rockstar11p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:36 PM   #2
Sammy
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Creative people needed! Tips on how to improve a boring aquarium!

Out of all those options I'd go for the second one, purchasing a twenty gallon. One of my past hamster, a Syrian, use to live in an aquarium (a twenty-five gallon to be exact) and I found no problem with space, decorating and keeping her entertained. Here's what it looked like just in case you were curious: Click!

The idea of connecting to ten gallons is far from being stupid. The only problem with that is that you'd have to buy two tanks along with two ventilated tops and tubes to connect the tanks which would end up costing more than if you were to simply purchase a twenty gallon.

Or, you could always go for a bin cage which just might be your best bet seeing as you live in America and unfortunately your choices are limited.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:42 AM   #3
wofunny
Lord Ham-Tastic

I would make a bin cage if I were you!

It is very very cheap and easy to do, and the great thing is you can choose how big you want it!
I don't know weather you have Ikea at the US, but if you do they sell a 180L tub for £10($17? I dont know)
wofunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:07 AM   #4
mangoandmimi
Little Miss Tinytoes

180 L at ikea??!!!!
yay!!
mangoandmimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:09 AM   #5
KutButLykee
Senior Hamster

Yes^ You could get A 80Litre storage bin (or bigger...The bigger the better!) But because your in America..Maybe you could buy one from Low's?(if thats how you spell it haha!) Or Homedepo? They usually sell them. Well..I have heard
Good Luck!
Old 09-14-2010, 10:31 AM   #6
Faerydae
Hamster Addict

the tank I have with a topper is about 20 gallon (not exactly because it was a custom tank) and I made the topper myself, as long as the mesh flooring is covered with something, they're fine I used vinyl floor to cover mine

here's a picture:
Faerydae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:11 PM   #7
mangoandmimi
Little Miss Tinytoes

jeez thats good...
Old 09-14-2010, 05:34 PM   #8
rockstar11p
Hamster Pup

Great job guys! Thanks for all the help. I looked in Petco today and their 20 gallon aqaurium is 40$! I'm not sure wether or not i should get it because the 10 gallon set up from the rescue is 50 and that comes with a lid, clip and everything i listed before. I mean it could possibly be a little more than 50$ maybe 60-70 (with all the accerssories and stuff). I'm fine with that but i just want my hamster to be happy.

I didn't look into bin cages too much because i'm not very good with DIY stuff but i will def look into it now. I live right in the middle of town near a home depot so ill check it out (my dad's house is getting renovated so i'll be visiting them alot)

I will be moving my hamster to and from my moms house to my dads house every other weekend so the bin cage seems like the lighter option. Do they chew through the plastic easily? What brand of bin shout i get?

I thinks ill go with a 20 gallon or a bin cage now, thanks guys!
rockstar11p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:34 AM   #9
mangoandmimi
Little Miss Tinytoes

Biin cages dont require much diy - i'm probs the worst you'll get at it lol, buti had a spare critter bottom thing, from one of my cages so i used that to cover the top for my robos lol. no escapes!! wood and mesh does it too
brand...? lol i'm not in usa so i cant really help. something sturdy that wont break - bearing in mind yu'll tip the bin every week or 2 to clean it
20 galls are okay but more expensive and often smaller than bins - and are alot heavier. no handles so slippery and more difficult to tip or carry. good for viewing though! especially if you get dwarves XD
but any of those are good, goodluck with hammy
Old 09-15-2010, 10:01 AM   #10
Faerydae
Hamster Addict

yeah if you're gonna be moving it I'd suggest a bin cage, my tank has NO chance of moving even for clean outs, I have to use a dustpan to scoop the bedding out because it's just too heavy
Faerydae is offline   Reply With Quote