Wiki

Ads by Google

Go Back   Hamster Central > Hamster Species > Syrian Hamster

Notices

Old 06-20-2022, 06:31 AM   #121
Serendipity7000
Hamsters University

Default Re: Raphael (Raffy's) Adventures

It is a shame. I guess they have struggled like everyone else. I had a terrible batch of food from them last year and haven't used their food since. But it's a bit much when prices have gone up and quality has gone down. If we had time we could make our own labyrinth houses here - to sell on!
Old 06-20-2022, 06:50 AM   #122
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
It is a shame. I guess they have struggled like everyone else. I had a terrible batch of food from them last year and haven't used their food since. But it's a bit much when prices have gone up and quality has gone down. If we had time we could make our own labyrinth houses here - to sell on!
People are making good quality hamster furnishings and selling them on Etsy.

It's the high postage i'm unwilling to pay for Rodipet items but wasn't even aware of the deteriorating quality. Thank you for pointing this out.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 07:03 AM   #123
Serendipity7000
Hamsters University

It may be just a one off. I'll see what the wheel is like.
Old 06-20-2022, 07:05 AM   #124
cloudy
Hamster Overlord

I am happy with the Henry Hamster multichamber hide and sand boxes.
Old 06-20-2022, 04:57 PM   #125
Serendipity7000
Hamsters University

Cloudy - yes theirs seems almost identical in size and design apart from being slot together and having the ramps inside. At the time I wanted a house quickly and delivery was going to be slow. But in the end the Rodipet one didn't get here in time anyway!

Actually it's not as bad as I thought. I can see what they've done. They've changed the design of the house slightly. The two small compartments at the back are now slightly bigger (which is good because they were too small). Meaning the two compartments at the front are not quite as big as before but still a good size for a nest.

And the partition between them has changed. Instead of being glued between the sides it is "slotted" partway down the sides (still glued in place though). So the "gaps" are below the slotted in part. Probably easier if I put a photo up to show what I mean! The gaps are very small so not really an issue.

So it's a design change rather than quality control. Although one of the roof nubs fell off! And needs glueing back on. Otherwise quality is not much different to before - the odd slightly rough bit I sanded but then I'm fussy. It was only one or two bits at the edges and inside one hole. Don't remember needing to do that before but hard to remember. Plastikote usually solves anything like that anyway.

So this is the partition between the front and back compartments

IMG_2731.JPG

It used to be fixed inside the two side pieces, but now, "slots" into the side piece partway down

IMG_2726.JPG

As the slotted bit only goes part way down, the bit underneath, inside is not glued/attached so a very slight gap - but not enough to worry about.

IMG_2729.JPG

IMG_2730.JPG

Where it slots down the side there's a tiny hole underneath too which I'm not that keen on but won't do any harm.

IMG_2727.JPG

What is slightly frustrating is - if they were going to change the design like that, it would have been better if those partitions were removable! Instead of well and truly glued in place. They look like they should slide out but don't.

Last edited by Serendipity7000; 06-20-2022 at 05:06 PM.
Serendipity7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 04:02 AM   #126
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Could be a H&S measure. If the partitions were removable someone may leave one out and a small hamster could get stuck in the gap where it would slot in.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 04:03 AM   #127
cloudy
Hamster Overlord

I wonder what the reason for changing the design was. It could be feedback from customers. It is really good you are still able to use it.
Old 06-21-2022, 06:34 AM   #128
Serendipity7000
Hamsters University

Oh yes it's perfectly useable. It threw me for a bit though until I realised it was a design change. Seems stupid to have removable partitions that aren't removable though! But yes Ria Rodipet always prided themselves on safe stuff - they will only sell certain wheels.

I still don't like the tiny gaps, but you'd get those with removable pieces probably anyway - I've just let the plasikote go into them so they're kind of sealed. If I was being perfectionist, I'd fill them with wood glue. Might do that actually! But that's the point - you want something immediately useable - not something you have to diy. But then that's the case for a lot of hamster stuff that isn't quite right.

I don't think the gaps are a hazard but they are at the bottom half of the house, so could encourage chewing in that area - something to get their teeth into.

Tags
cage, happy, night, raphael, yesterday